Elevators with no buttons, doors or stops

Then people in the future could judge us by their standards. What great fun for all involved!

3 Likes

Album name!

4 Likes

TURBO ENGAGED  

2 Likes

Well don’t just leave us all in suspense: what happens at the looping point? You tested it and obviously you’re still here.

6 Likes

I was just appliance shopping last week and learned of this amazing thing -

5 Likes

Elevators with no buttons, doors or stops…

… Yet golden treasure inside is hid.

No, wait, that’s not right.

11 Likes

I have to will myself to step into a revolving door. (I know they feed on toddlers and the elderly). I’m not sure I’d get myself on one of these.

5 Likes

Well, not common. I’ve never used one in my life. Most seem to be for closed user groups only who received a short safety briefing.

2 Likes

Joseph Gutnick used to employ non-Jewish security guards to tell him the football score when Melbourne played on Saturdays.

1 Like

I thought about drop tubes to evacuate skyscrapers. In an emergency water would spray into the tube as lubricant and to suppress fires. They would have a horizontal runout at the bottom to give you time to slow down, and to transport people away from the building.

4 Likes

Apparently there are something like 15 times as many reportable accidents on escalators as on elevators every year.

3 Likes

cool, you found a number for this.

combined with

we can assume that paternosters are twice as dangerous as escalators.

sounds about right

2 Likes

My numbers were American. It is possible that German escalators are much safer.

2 Likes

not really important, as a ballpark figure totally fine - the quality of the input values is rather lowish (the “30 times” thingy was a half sentence in a news report), the guesstimate sounds about right and I don’t have contradicting informations.

unlikely. it would surprise me if there’s a significant difference between the rich countries.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve never seen an escalator not functioning in Germany. I think I saw one in my time living in in Oslo, it was so rare I was surprised. In American cities you encounter it all the time. My city’s airport has maybe 20% out of order at any given time.

3 Likes

one could argue that non-working escalators are much safer than moving ones ; )

8 Likes

Some can have constipation problems though:

7 Likes

seems like an extremely dangerous way to travel between floors.

1 Like

Also Sabbath problematic … hotel rooms that have a card key entry instead of actual metal keys.

3 Likes

Interesting; my wife helped a Hasidic woman change her son’s hearing aid battery during Passover once, and then switch it back on - the woman in question definitely just up and asked!

3 Likes