Elisabeth Moss shows how brainwashed she is

Moss’ fans have long had to reconcile her award-winning gifts as an actor with her involvement in Scientology, especially because “The Handmaid’s Tale” casts her as a feminist warrior fighting back against an oppressive and cultish government. The clash between “The Handmaid’s Tale” and Scientology has led to criticism against Moss. When The New Yorker writer Michael Schulman brought up that some fans are “distracted” by her Scientology ties, she responded, “People can obviously hold in their mind whatever they want to, and I can’t control that. If it’s not that, it’s going to be something else.”

“It’s not really a closed-off religion,” Moss said of Scientology. “It’s a place that is very open to, like, welcoming in somebody who wants to learn more about it. I think that’s the thing that is probably the most misunderstood.”

Cults always are. It’s kinda their thing, Liz

13 Likes

Ugh, this is disappointing. She was the best part of Mad Men, but now I won’t be able to unknow this about her. I struggle to enjoy a performance when I know the actor is batshit.

11 Likes

Yeah, I have the same problem. I am very glad that I did not learn about this until Madmen was almost over, but it really has prevented me from seeking out and enjoying her projects since.

3 Likes

I really miss being able to watch Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson movies, but I can’t even go back and watch the old ones I loved anymore. It’s too weird.

5 Likes

My Hollywood acquaintances emphasized that “Religion as Social Club” was a big factor in Scientology.

Frankly, even believing in the existence of solid matter is batshit on some levels, we all get by on the myths, approximations and rules of thumb that simplify our lives.

but yeah… this makes me sad…

Then again, so are genuine evangelical religions like Christianity, Islam and Buddhism. You can find their scriptures in any well-appointed bookstore or library, you can visit a church or mosque or temple and ask questions, you can get books on their theology written by members and outsiders alike, and so on.

And that’s the real difference. Because for all they may talk about “being open and welcoming”, Scientology isn’t. They do the mystery cult thing, where you get “deeper secrets” as you get deeper into the religion, and it’s not shown or shared with the outsiders. In no small part because if you were told about Xenu and spaceships that look just like DC-3:s right away, you’d (correctly) think it’s pure lunacy.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.