Ello, what's all this then? An ad-free social network

They are a bunch of gnomes from an early South Park episode who steal kids’ underpants at night. Eventually they explain their plan:

1 Like

Gnomes (South Park) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The gnomes, claiming to be business experts, explain their business plan: Gnomes’ three-phase business plan

1. Collect Underpants
  2. ?
  3. Profit

edit: a bit too late…

2 Likes

Because it’s probably better than the alternative I suppose.

Agreed. If the technorati loved privacy and no ads so much, they’d all be on Diaspora.

I like Ello, but I think it’s likely to be a fad. It may spawn some more fads though, and those fads may spawn something which some staying power.

The one thing all these services need though is the ability to take that ball of stuff Facebook gives you when you download your data, and let you upload it to their server. In fact, I can’t think of why more people don’t do this (possibly face book’s data is in some crap format).

Mining a huge number of users personal data for a few years is an invaluable commodity these days, it is more valuable then mining bitcoins…in no short amount of time they will be sitting on top of a huge commodity, we’ll see what happens then…i have my doubts.

on a totally out their speculation, i wonder how much facebook stock you’d have to short sell in order to make funding a disruptive new service a lucrative venture?

Welcome to the Ello Invite Trading Post.

A couple years back, people on some lesser boards were trading referrals in order to earn extra free storage on Dropbox. Every time a poster mentioned the service, even in passing, threads would devolve into postings of one referral link after another. It was both irritating and comical, watching all of the referral beggars coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches. The ops finally put a stop to it.

Anyway… Invite only? Pass. I don’t like special clubs.

Also, they seem to be funded by venture capital firms, which are frequently (although not quite always) the muck at the bottom of the capitalistic barrel.

That particular, Vermont-based, Vermont-active VC firm seems to be interesting.

F FTW! (Fenneman for the win!)

Didn’t LiveJournal manage the freemium model quite successfully? Not in the North American market, granted, but NorAm has always been kind of an afterthought for LiveJournal.

For the most part, yes. In Russia and Eastern Europe the biggest selling items seem to be their own internal ad system, which just advertises LiveJournal blogs on other LiveJournal blogs in a bid for more readers. Here in the West the big revenue stream seems to be mostly ad-free accounts and additional userpics.

Incidentally, LiveJournal is making a new push to get back into the North American market after several years, with “we don’t care who you really are” and “look at all these privacy controls” being the main selling points.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.