Elon Musk has turned Twitter into X: the Internet’s Nazi bar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/16/elon-musk-has-turned-twitter-into-x-the-internets-nazi-bar.html

11 Likes

Musk threatening to sue NBC in 3…2…

11 Likes

From what I understand, part of the problem is that there’s nearly no one working in content moderation anymore. The few who are there have time to work on posts that get mass-reported, but not much else.

Another part of the problem is that Elon Musk is a fucking Nazi.

22 Likes

Nothing anyone here didn’t know already, but nice to see it making its way into corporate media discourse.

21 Likes

The whole “we let anyone say what they want, we just de-prioritize it so no one sees it” is working out really well. /s

And I’ve seen it, people with 88s, runes in their names, and slurs in their posts pop up all the time.

7 Likes

But it’s still okay to support that Nazi bar by posting links to it, I guess?

(I’d say no, but I suppose that’s just like, my own opinion, man.)

19 Likes

Twitter not bothering to enforce their own rules (and in a manner that suspiciously only benefits those on the right) is a problem that predates Musk’s ownership. It’s a thousand times worse now, of course, but the site always gave priority to fascists.

7 Likes

They’re really two parts of the same problem - Elno knew what he was doing when he slashed content moderation, it wasn’t just about cost savings. It allows him some cover from criticism - he’s got the rules against Nazis that he can point to when convenient, but doesn’t actually enforce them, allowing the Nazis to thrive. (It also allows him to apply the rules unevenly, banning the people he doesn’t like.)

7 Likes

10 Likes

Completely unrelated, I’m sure, but Musk just announced that the new Tesla Robotaxi will be unveiled on 8/8. And the fact that Nazis love the number “88” couldn’t possibly have factored into that, right? I mean, it’s not like this guy has a history of picking dates for major company events based on numbers that amuse him…

10 Likes

He probably thinks that it’s subtle and clever and not the most obvious Nazi dogwhistle ever. And he’s got his “it’s a lucky number in China” defence lined up.

3 Likes

His love of 4/20 makes sense as a puerile weed joke, but I guess at some point we’ll have to consider that it’s also Hitler’s birthday.

7 Likes

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The media will keep using it though - because all their media friends and rivals are on Twitter and they want to be part of the crowd.

It’d be good for the quality of modern media if some of the reputable organisations decided that they didn’t want to hang out in the Nazi Bar and rely on good old-fashioned journalism with multiple sources rather than repeating the latest breaking garbage on Twitter.

5 Likes

Some media organisations and journalists have left Xitter. Despite the inertia and laziness, I expect more to follow as the platform becomes more flooded with disinformation and toxic users.

5 Likes

Gradually, and then all at once…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.