Fuck Elon Musk (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Fuck Elon Musk (Part 1) - #5052 by robertmckenna.

Previous discussions:

4 Likes

So who is this Elon Musk guy anyway? Maybe if we stop talking about him he’ll go away

13 Likes

But it makes him so unhappy when we talk about him! I think we have to keep doing it

3 Likes

… unfortunately, not how billionaires work :moneybag:

10 Likes

10 Likes

What is the new purple medal that Generalissimo Elon has given himself?

7 Likes

Probably not though

5 Likes
15 Likes

Oh! How about this situation Elon? It’s actually about free speech…

4 Likes
4 Likes

Another example of why X is a terrible brand name

6 Likes

The Verge is out and out done with his bullshit

For most of you, I realize, it is no longer news that Musk stretches the truth until it disintegrates. At least since he lied about having “funding secured” to take Tesla private, it’s been clear that we should apply a healthy discount rate to everything he says.

At the same time, it is in the nature of business journalism to assume that CEOs of public companies are not lying all the time. And it’s in Musk’s nature to make frequent, bold pronouncements about his companies, politics, the nature of consciousness, and so on, all of which are irresistible to editors.

Stories about these pronouncements are dead-simple and cheap to produce — a description of an embedded tweet, followed by 300 or so words of context. And because people read these stories in huge numbers, publishers devote a lot of space to them. (If there’s an Elon Musk tweet that Insider hasn’t written a short post about this year, it’s news to me.)

The issue is that these stories are often published without the skepticism that is appropriate to someone who the Securities and Exchange Commission once forced to pay $20 million for saying something that wasn’t true.

I thought about all this over the weekend as I read about one of Musk’s other almost-certainly-not-true promises: that he will pay the legal bills of anyone who is “unfairly treated” for posting or liking a post on X. The announcement came after a NASCAR driver was suspended for liking a meme parodying the death of George Floyd.

“No limit,” Musk added, presumably about the amount he is willing to spend. “Please let us know.”

10 Likes
5 Likes

At least he stepped down, rather than falling down, like a top successor to Putin.

4 Likes

How romantic

The biographer said Musk drove Grimes to a restaurant in his Tesla the very next night, hitting the gas, taking his hands off the wheel and closing his eyes while the car was using the carmaker’s Autopilot driver assist feature.

“I was like, oh shit, this guy is fucking crazy,” Isaacson said Grimes told him of the experience. “The car was signaling and changing lanes by itself. It felt like a scene out of a Marvel movie.”

The Tesla CEO later carved the couple’s initials into the wall of the restaurant, Isaacson writes.

The biographer also said Musk quizzed Grimes on “Lord of the Rings” to test out whether she was a “truly faithful fan.” The singer told Isaacson she gave Musk a box full of animal bones and the two would listen to history podcasts and audiobooks before bed.

4 Likes

Serious, fuck that guy. What a jackass.

10 Likes

Somehow that reminds me of a scene in The Rum Diary with Amber Heard, who he also used to date. Reckless a-hole.

2 Likes

She probably could have saved herself a lot of heartache if she’d quizzed him back to test if he was a truly faithful romantic partner.

8 Likes

… and he probably googled “10 facts you never knew about lotr” minutes before the date started

2 Likes

He should have gone out with Peter Thiel.

8 Likes