Elon Musk seems to think The Sex Pistols were a real punk band

I don’t think John Lydon has read any actual anarchist sites. That is an accurate description of Ayn-caps and Johnny Rotten though.

11 Likes

Because there hasn’t been any music since Holocaust survivors started interrupting live performances of Wagner.

Or you could just go looking for new music. That works for me.

7 Likes

The one, proper response to Lord Musk’s shitposting:
:poop:

2 Likes

I feel many here are projecting a lot of things on the OP and objecting to statements that were never made.

The OP never said that Lydon has always been a terrible person. (But he sure is now.)

The OP never said that the Sex Pistols weren’t “real punk” (whatever that means). It does say that they were marketed early on to appeal to a wider audience, which is widely understood to be factual.

The OP never said that Lydon or the Sex Pistols lacked talent. Even if it did (which it doesn’t), it’s a completely subjective statement that can’t be proven.

In fact there’s basically no mentions of music in the article beyond the peripherial observation that Lydon is himself a musician who now espouses terrible bigoted views that aligns him with cultural luminaries like Elon Musk and Morrissey. (Punk may be hard to define, but it’s a simple fact that you don’t get much less “punk” than that duo.)

5 Likes

Morrissey did attend the Gig that Changed The World though.

https://manchesterhistorian.com/2022/the-gig-that-changed-the-world-the-impact-of-the-sex-pistols-1976-manchester-gig-by-jessica-twiss/

Then again, so did Mick Hucknall, and I don’t think anyone has ever described Simply Red as punk.

9 Likes

It’s not that the right are cool, it’s that the left are so uncool that it makes the right seem cool in comparison. Far left myself but the popular left crowd are an such an embarrassment that I’ve actually had to agree with conservatives on a number of issues in the last few years and that’s just sad. Let’s hope a new leftie evolution is on the cards because this generation really dropped the ball.

jeff bridges fgc GIF

11 Likes

Translation: These kids these days are so annoying that they’ve got me agreeing with literal Nazis even though I’m so far left myself.

15 Likes

And I believe you.

14 Likes

7 Likes

Wow, this topic has really drawn the cockroaches out of the woodwork. How many right-wing idiots have created new accounts in this thread so far? I’ve lost count.

14 Likes

Maybe just one busy little bee, maybe more. They seem to be operating at about the same level.

10 Likes

How many before it can officially be classified as a cult?

5 Likes

We prefer literate people here.

Unless you’re referring to something else; which you should be clear about.

11 Likes

I’m alphabet people and I’m cool as fuck.

16 Likes

I suspect at least one is a bot, based on the idiosyncratic language.

6 Likes

One idiot- different masks.

10 Likes

And I will fight for us. Not just figuratively.

13 Likes