Elon Musk wants his own "Fordlandia"

So company towns? Generally a bad idea. They going to end up paying them in crypto and NFTs.

Ah - the turn of the century labor movement where you could get into a literal machine gun battle with your bosses hired goons. :confused:

18 Likes

Muskville: self-driving city.

42 Likes

Executives at the Boring Co., Mr. Musk’s tunnel operation, have discussed and researched incorporating the town in Bastrop County, about 35 miles from Austin, which would allow Mr. Musk to set some regulations in his own municipality and expedite his plans, according to people familiar with Mr. Musk’s projects.

Will Gilead South governor Greg Abbott try to take a page from Gilead SouthEast governor Ron DeSantis’s Big Book of Bullshit and give Musk “control” rather than control?

19 Likes

Next stop Howard Hughes.

16 Likes

32 Likes

Musk isn’t fit to clean Hughes’ Kleenex boxes.

17 Likes

Assholetopia.

11 Likes

Yes. Why do I get the feeling “could” means “must” for some subset of employees.

5 Likes

Someone should send him articles about Thomas Kinkade’s the Village. Or Disney’s Celebration.

6 Likes

Obligatory.

29 Likes

Did he giggle and blurt out the part about everyone getting paid in MuskCoin which would only be accepted at the Musk Store?

25 Likes

I think he’s out of good ideas after SpaceX (which is truly great). He should just enjoy his money and retire.

4 Likes

Bastop, TX means he will still be subject to federal regulations.

Instead, Elmo needs to build a man-made island in international waters and make it entirely automated so he doesn’t have to deal with unions or run the risk of getting the Dept of Labor all over his ass every time he sexually harasses employees or belittle disabled employees.

11 Likes

Ugh, right on schedule. Every robber baron reaches the point of hubris where they think they can start over and design a perfect town. Celebration. Levittown. Pullman. Hershey. On and on.

They often aren’t even company towns in the sense of “all the workers in my mine live here”. They are often just, “I can make a better town with no flaws because of how awesome I am”. It always ends up being suburban tract houses with a weird geometric street layout and no brown people. As though nobody has ever tried that. :roll_eyes:

37 Likes

“Elon Musk wants his own Jonestown”
FTFY

16 Likes

and episodes of The Prisoner and Yellowjackets

14 Likes

That would just give him ideas.

The new Tesla RoverX

13 Likes

I was wondering when the welfare capitalism would show up as it did during the Gilded Age. Only in this case the company towns are going to look like something out of Mad Max.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure the people who ran The Village had far better manufacturing quality control than Tesla.

12 Likes

With Twitter he’s already most of the way to his own Dearborn Independent:

12 Likes