Elvira's public appearances coming to an end

Vampira pre-dated Elvira, and boy was she pissed!

10 Likes

She seems to mostly work as a stand-in these days.

4 Likes

You beat me to it…
Elvira has been at it a long long time really and even if she can still pull off being in character I imagine it isn’t as easy as it used to be and she is probably more than ready to retire.

And if no one picks up the mantle there will be another horror hostess that will come along with their own take and she will be her own new form of the trope and it will probably be just as wonderful.

In the meantime while he isn’t as easy on the eyes we still have Svengoolie!

5 Likes

…and had a major role in Plan 9 From Outer Space.

7 Likes

What’s you’re point? Rich people have good looking friends?

IIRC it didn’t work, because people didn’t want just anyone to be Elvira. They wanted the “real deal”.

Not to be confused with the character Vampirella.

3 Likes

Her quote and the comments here remind of that Amy Schumer skit about a female celebrity’s “Last Fuckable Day” and I think it’s nice that Peterson gets to be the one to decide when that day is.

14 Likes

If you add up all of Vampira’s work it amounts to less than 2 minutes of screen time. (And scream time)

All of which can be seen here:

1 Like

She looks much more attractive without the get-up. And sexy if I do dare say!

8 Likes

Yeah, she’s definitely still got it. She looks twenty years younger.

1 Like

Yeah, I got them confused. :weary:

3 Likes

Just juxtaposing Jack Nicholson and Elvira while we are discussing aging celebrities and sex symbols. (And I’d never previously seen the wide-angle shots of where, and with whom, Jack was eating his sub.)

3 Likes

I wonder if Molly Shannon & Chris Kattan would be interested in a revival…

6 Likes

I’m not sure a lot of people think Nicholson is a sex symbol anymore… certainly not in those pics. If they do I think they are imaging him much younger… But hey, rich guy with a boat. I’d go, even if I had to look at that…

YMMV. Maybe there are people into that.

I think the expectation of a sixty-five years old looking as a sexy thirty-ish extremely taxing. It’s an almost inhuman amount of time spent in exercising and dieting and supplements to keep from aging. The opposite of healthy. Let her have some fun!

C’mon we have fathers, mothers and grandparents this age. Show business is cruel with our elder geek performers.

With that being said, we have all the culture of Monster High and goth-pop for kids that could totally welcome some daughter or even granddaughter of Elvira revamped for the new generation. The character is immortal!

6 Likes

Me and my dad got to meet her once at Dragon*Con and somewhere I have a pic of the three of us (well, 4, as I was pregnant at the time). A lovely human being. I’m sorry she and the rest of us have to deal with the sexism of our society that constantly tells us that the natural process of aging tells us we no longer carry the same worth we once did.

9 Likes

I’m afraid it was, as much as we’d like it to be otherwise. :wink:

9 Likes

I’m not sure if society is telling her anything. It seemed to me from the article she is ready to move on. I am sure her fans would love just as much to meet her as herself.

Characters are immortal, but actors age. Harrison Ford looked ridiculous in the last Indian Jones film (though part of that was probably also partly due to the film being so ridiculous.) Certainly if Indiana Jones wasn’t invented until 2016, Ford would never have been considered for the role. It is why Star Trek as “rebooted” with a whole different cast and whole new universe.

Hopefully Elvira can continue to live through new renditions, and we can enjoy Ms. Peterson for many more years.

3 Likes

Sure, she might be ready to move on and that’s a personal decision which we should respect… but the fact is that women in hollywood (and frankly, the rest of the world) get far more shit for aging then men do. No one considered Harrison Ford ridiculous in the recent Star Wars film. I’d argue that the problems with the last Indian Jones film had much more to do with the script than with Ford himself.

I don’t know… I’m just kind of sick of being told it’s all in my head, when I see this stuff working in subtle and invasive ways in my own life.

13 Likes

While Carrie Fisher was simultaneously dealing with this crap:

14 Likes