Elvira's public appearances coming to an end

That’s true. Part of it is Hollywood and other media is completely superficial and over emphasizes looks. And partly because women and men find different things attractive. Older guys couldn’t pull off retaining sex symbol status if most women didn’t still see them that way. If women were as shallow as men, I’d be completely screwed.

I think that was more because he wasn’t running around in the jungle punching people. He “acted his age”, I think. At least I found the action much more believable than his performance as Jones. But from what I understand he encouraged killing the character off because he didn’t want to play it anymore.

It’s not in your head, and I am sure there are many examples out there, but in this case, I think she gave it a hell of a run and should be able to put her feet up and drink a margarita or whatever.

Yeah like that. That’s bullshit. And if people were saying similar shit to Elvira I’d say it’s BS too.

1 Like

Fuck that… Carrie Fisher deserves nothing but love and kindness…

As I said, it’s up to her. But I can’t imagine that this antagonism aimed at those of us who dare inflict our less than perfect feminine visage on the world didn’t play a part in her decision, though. Pretty much, if you’re a woman with a public profile, someone is going to call you out for not being perfectly attractive at all times. I’m sure she’s experienced it, even if she hasn’t made it a public part of the reason she’s gone into retirement as Elvira (likely because she’s too professional to do so).

11 Likes

Yup. I don’t think our culture sees dudes the same as they age, but I think it’s more willing to accept that guys attractiveness changes.

I mean Harrison Ford, Sean Connery and Henry Cavil were/are all sex symbols well into their golden years. No one thinks they look the same as they did when they were strapping young fellas, but it’s understood that sex and sex appeal doesn’t vanish when you hit 40 or 50 as a guy. For women, there’s this pretty silly expectation that sex appeal and interest fundamentally differs from men in that it supposedly disappears instead of simply maturing. Well, to hell with that. Elvira was a sex symbol when she was young not because she had a better bod or integrated more cleavage into her costume than the average woman - though all style takes discipline and an eye for extraordinary - but because she had a unique and edgy look. So maybe that look is more nostalgic than edgy in today’s world (in no small part because her inventive influence helped mainstream her own style elements). I plan to be sexy when I’m 64 (not as distant a date as it once was), and so can she.

That said, I respect Peterson’s prerogative and if she wants to retire her character, it ain’t my place to criticize.

6 Likes

Huh? She didn’t have the longevity of Elvira, but she worked on a reasonably regular basis as a horror hostess. She definitely had more than two minutes of screen time.

Or are you merely referring to Plan 9?

2 Likes

I’m referring to footage that was preserved to this day. Almost all of her weekly show bits are gone.

And I got that 2 minute figure from the documentary. I might have it slightly wrong but it’s definitely less than 10 minutes.

2 Likes

Sad :crying_cat_face: now I’ll never get to meet Elvira in person.

Might meet Cassandra in person though, which would be cool.

4 Likes

She appeared without the Elvira drag in Pee Wee’s Big Adventure:

http://65.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0scrdYXEP1qgjvrso1_500.jpg

18 Likes

The name of the game really ought to be: Six Degrees of Paul Reubens.

3 Likes

My reaction upon realizing that’s Cassandra Peterson:

7 Likes

8 Likes

Kung Fu Theatre and Movie Macabre - staples of my youth.

So many good times and corny jokes staying up to watch them as a kid. Saw Cassandra at a few socal appearances, she was awesome, she knows what works and can hang on, hang up, or reboot all she likes.

5 Likes

Cassandra Peterson bathed in her blood in order to absorb her life force and stave off aging for another few years. (It worked.)

15 Likes

Henry Cavill is 33…

2 Likes

You’re right. I was thinking of Marlon Brando. My bad.

Oh, of course.

5 Likes

Huh. I just looked it up and he was only 48 in Last Tango In Paris. I remembered him looking older than that, but I guess I just saw it when I was young. Now he just looks middle aged in it.

C’mon, he was playing “old Han Solo”

Just recently watched that for the first time since I was practically a kid. During the bar scene I was wondering why ‘Biker Mama’ looked familiar. The ‘aha’ moment came later when I did an IMDB check.

Well, but my point was that although he and Carrie Fisher are both older, only one of them got criticized for their looks. But they’re both still great.

8 Likes

It is entirely understandable why she wouldn’t want to do it, but it would be totally awesome to see Carrie Fisher do one last photoshoot in the Slave Leia costume, just to fuck with the manbabies.

7 Likes