General Organa's obit

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/29/general-organas-obit.html

13 Likes

Heheh this is a great writeup

8 Likes

Good one. I like it.

8 Likes

Leia: They let us go. It’s the only explanation for the ease of our escape. They’re tracking us.

Han: Nah.

Leia: Fine, make a course for our super-secret base on Yavin IV.

15 Likes

Carrie Fisher the actress couldn’t carry the shoes of Carrie Fisher the wordsmith, yet it will be for this single character that she will be remembered by most, and I think that a bit sad.

6 Likes

She seemed OK with it. I mean, the title of her last book was The Princess Diarist.

13 Likes

Wait, you’re not alluding to some resistance fighter Snowden are you? Course not, he’s a man, she’s a woman, little else in common. My mistake.

Rest well dear Princess.

7 Likes

She was a smart enough woman to come to terms with it, and leverage it as an author. Nevertheless she was a fine writer and fewer people will remember that part of her creative output as will those that remember her as Leia, and I think that’s a shame.

2 Likes

Think of it this way: her fame as an actor is what introduced her to many readers who otherwise might never have heard of her at all. Win-win.

12 Likes

Presumably, if she’d gone via, say, Dantooine, while trying to let the Alliance know that they had the plans Tarkin would have got bored with a wild goose chase and just gone off and blown up somewhere else like Naboo or Chandrila. If she’d swapped ships they’d have lost the Death Star totally.

2 Likes

Emperor: Behold, my loyal subjects. Gungans are now extinct!

Galaxy:

15 Likes

That may be true, but it is not the point I am making. Hre creative legacy is not going to be as an author, but rather as this one character - people will be watching Star Wars long after Postcards from the Edge is all but forgotten. This is, in my opinion, too bad because in the end she was a better writer than she was an actress.

I think that was part of the “plot” of Geordie Star Wars. Tatooine, Yavin, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin and Endor were the only planets left in the Galaxy, and Tarkin wasn’t about to leave his work unfinished.

Can you please lend me your crystal ball? I need the numbers for this New Years Eve lottery.

9 Likes

That’s the nature of the media!!

Even though it doesn’t meet your personal standards, perhaps her fate is still better than not being remembered at all.

##"...Shall forfeit fair renown, And, doubly dying, shall go down. To the vile dust from whence he sprung: Unwept, unhonored, and unsung."

As it stands, the lady IS honored, and her many praises ARE sung, regardless to the original catalyst.

RIP Carrie Fisher

RIP General Leia Organa

14 Likes

Why did you put a spoiler for a movie still in theaters on the front page?

3 Likes

This took far to long for me to laugh at.

3 Likes

she used the courtesy title Princess (afforded by her adopted parents, as elected officials in Alderaan’s post-monarchic democracy) sparingly

Pretty odd courtesy title for the daughter of a Senator in a post-monarchic democracy.