"Emoji house" paint job annoys neighbors

His neighbors send people to talk him into repainting his house to look like theirs, but everyone he talks to ends up painting their houses like their dreams also.

9 Likes

The ugliest part.

1 Like

eo8x9pv0n7h11

31 Likes

That time has surely passed…

At least she didn’t go with the poop and eggplant emojis.

7 Likes

Not only intentional, but for additional bonus points the message “Crazy complainers need to zip it” comes through loud and clear! :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Kidd is the owner. She doesn’t live in the house-- she turned it into an illegal hotel and then painted it like this.

5 Likes

Death threats. Incitements to violence. Those should be over the bar. Probably libel. (if it is painted on a wall, would it be libel or slander?)

2 Likes

Well sure, but we already ban that kind of “expression.” We don’t ban non-threatening emojis or loud colors, except maybe on houses, hence the argument these houses provoke.

And it would be libel. :slight_smile:

EDIT: 20-some years ago, there was a locally famous house in a Boston suburb that really did have threats and libel written on it, in those stick-on letters you use for mailboxes.

It was… pretty fucked up. Literally all over the house, comparing local officials the homeowner had grievances with to vermin, etc. Liberally interspersed with text from some kind of manifesto or holy book. But it must have stayed just on the right side of actionable, or maybe everyone was just intimidated by the raw crazy, because it stayed up for years.

2 Likes

Neighbors should just do some gross tags/scrawling over it. Obviously the owner cares how it looks and doesn’t care about laws.

I take it you’ve seen the Chargers house in Barrio Logan.

2 Likes

Yes. This is obnoxious.

It’s clearly not just this one issue that’s upset people who live there, though.

Yeah, it feels like a “fuck you” to the neighborhood by an absentee landlord illegal hotel owner.

4 Likes

Oh no, my neighbor has a stupid paint job! However will I sleep at night?

Really? This is what people worry about? Jeez.

4 Likes

Yes, and the Chargers left town [San Diego] over a year ago…

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t read the article, just the little blurb on BB. I see it now.

And yes, it’s a spite house, but there’s some plausible deniability and there’s nothing obscene about the spite.

1 Like

U+1F4A9 + U+200D + U+1F6CD

Leave on doorstep, apply U+1F525.

Who’s cute and quirky and kind of funny now, eh?

3 Likes

Is it possible that both the owner and the neighbours are in the right here? And both wrong, at the same time?

I used to be, tangentially, associated with an inner-city residents association. In the suburb was this piece of street art

It has been there for years in various iterations, as the council and artists would take turns painting over it and repainting it. Eventually the council came to realise that a) they weren’t going to win and b) even bad street art is infinitely preferable to blank concrete anyway. The council has since done a volte-face and now actively embraces street art.

Anyway, the residents association were involved in that process for the Ian Curtis memorial. Simultaneously, they were scrubbing other graffitti off a brick wall. Now, this particular brick wall was/is kind of historic. It was built by prisoners at the local prison (which has long since gone), out of bricks that the prisoners themselves had made. Each brick has a little arrow stamped in it

I assume it was some sort of anti-theft thing? If you were later found in possession of bricks with the arrow it would be obvious you must’ve stolen them. Either that or the prisoners were cunningly preparing camouflaged environments for their later escape

When the wall made of arrow bricks was complete they’d be able to press themselves against it and no one would see them! Genius!

Anyway, various folks took to spray tagging this wall, which the local residents association took exception to, so they scrubbed it off. Of course, being a bunch of complete fucking nimrods they rooted the wall in the process. Scrubbing the paint off also removed the very high-hardness patina that had formed on the outside of the bricks and which protected them from environmental erosion. Now the wall is quietly dissolving :roll_eyes: I failed to hide my disdain for the group over that triumph.

On a slightly different tangent, I’ve long thought that even bad street art is infinitely preferable to commercial advertising, but few folks seem to even recognise advertising as a visual theft and violence, probably because street art is illegal_therefore_bad while advertising is legal_therefore_good. Pfft

14 Likes

Perhaps she will sell the building in a few years and net a profit after BnB pays off mortgage.

Sensible solution is live in harmony with neighbours and consider their concerns since it is commercial property in a residence location.

I wonder what the paint job on her residence is like.

3 Likes

:thinking: :expressionless::neutral_face::face_with_raised_eyebrow::blush::grinning::laughing: :sweat_smile::crazy_face::clown_face:

3 Likes

Neighbors say it’s retribution in a property dispute that has turned into a battle with the city.

ya… think? :thinking:

I was also hoping it’d be a lot more emojis like so

1 Like