"Emoji house" paint job annoys neighbors

I’ve seen worse in the immediate area. There’s a house in nearby Redondo beach that looks like some whacked up version of a gingerbread house. What’s really happened is that what used to be a couple of pretty unique So. Cal. beach cities with a lot of personality have really gentrified, driving the prices Waaaaaay up. It’s cute living near the gingerbread house when it’s a low cost beach bungalow when the neighborhood is filled with surfers and skate rats. Apparently it’s more worrisome when you have to park your multiple luxury cars near it as you trek to your over $1M beach bungalow…

7 Likes

These are older neighborhoods where there is no HOA. Used to be small inexpensive places where surfers could live with a couple of friends near the beach, then about 30 years ago, the $$$ started to come in.

I grew up in nearby Torrance, and my best friend lived in Manhattan Beach. I’ve walked most of these streets, and the local vibe has changed dramatically.

3 Likes

That Ian Curtis wall is a Wellington icon.

3 Likes

Came to post something along these lines; well said.

That’s great graffiti, by the way o.O '.

Yep. And that is kind of my point. The standard should be the same. I feel free to criticize other people’s taste, but I don’t think that we should legislate it.

1 Like

Good post.

I assure you the long-departed prisoners who were forced to build that wall would greatly prefer to see “Fuck prisons” spray-painted on it than to see it pristine and the descendants of their jailers enjoying it without thought or guilt.

Every day I see depressing blank walls on buildings that are screaming out for a little character or simple mural, but I know that it’s being kept uniform and ugly just to avoid predictably petty NIMBYism. I’m annoyed by that (and mindlessly stupid billboards) daily, as much as anyone annoyed by a bad mural, but I’d never threaten anyone to get them to make it all less ugly.

2 Likes

Oddly the thing that annoys me is that they took license with the design. Added eyelashes and put goofy eyes on the zipped lips one.

2 Likes

There are no heroes in this story.

/lives in pink house

1 Like

Also everyone in the neighborhood. “You’re going to see a purple house with ugly emojis on it. I’m three doors down.”

2 Likes

Ugly and spiteful paint job. The neighbors’ hysterics are also ridiculous.
She should have gone with something splashy but not ugly- like the Austin vet hospital https://jmuzacz.com/austin-vet-hospital/

1 Like

Easier on the eyes than Banksy.

Arguably worse, and also in L.A., and no this is not shopped or a rendering:

Pile of poo or eggplant?

1 Like

:eggplant::peach::poop::sweat_drops::yum:

1 Like

The entire paint job looks like something I’ve seen in streets with auto repair and welding shops.

1 Like

Well, judging from the photo, it is.
The emoji paint makes it a little better, but it’s still an eyesore.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.