Engineer designs tools to perform DIY operation on himself

Ever look at the tax structure in the UK? 20% sales tax to start with.

Maybe the NHS needs a bit of work

i had an aunt that got braces once and got home, decided she didn’t like them, and took them off herself with some pliers – but i don’t know what to make of this guy, yikes.

Because it happened to be Graham Smith and now you totes remember Graham, or because the tools weren’t designed fresh and are ‘adapted from tools given to him by a friend who is a dentist?’ (Images to my witness having been one man’s bust in 2 long-sleeve pullies.)

Note to self: Sign up to care priority of ‘rocket saber prototype weekend maintenance’ and pre-order 23 thicknesses of silk suture.

4 Likes

Then there the ‘dear me I seem to have had designed, built and qualified $23M in medical facility in the process of moving house, can someone take it off my hands for purpose (and perhaps some sort of new kidney as lagniappe)’ sort of errands, which also deserve fulsome praise.

I am not a judge of the minimum viable medical facility product near you. Unless you appoint, you know…judgels.

bibliophile20> This is not a good precedent.

Not without the cool_tools hashtag it isn’t.

5 Likes

I’m so late to the same. You win this one.

No, it’s about actual lawyers suing you and police arresting you for “performing legal services without a license”.

As untrue as it is besides the point. It is perfectly simple and routine to be a lawyer or even police people without claiming affiliation with an organized bar or police department. To say that someone is a lawyer (as opposed to an attorney, barrister, etc) means only that they are of scholar of law. And since all citizens in this jurisdiction are subject unto it regardless of their exposure or ignorance, this should ideally include everybody. Why would the average person claim to know what the laws are without having had as much as read them first?

The problem is that the resulting scenario is classist. “IANAL” implies that one needs to be a member of the bar in order to even know what the laws are, which is certainly not the case. And would be a huge disadvantage to the average person if it were so. Attorneys comprise a profession, the title of people performing a job, who in fact do not have special powers. For there to be any justice in a society, law needs to be demystified. That’s a much more pressing issue than the individual hoping to avoid punishment.

While I applaud your ideals, good luck with that:

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/practicing-law-without-a-license.htm
https://www.wklaw.com/punishment-practicing-law-without-license/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.