Engineer shows off her awesome mechanical dinosaur costume

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/12/engineer-tests-out-her-awesome.html

8 Likes

Neat!

7 Likes

The fluid movement that she was able to achieve in this dino-mech suit is really cool. It gives a feeling of the creature being alive, even without some sort of skin to hide the inner workings.

It seems to me one of the hardest parts about giving this thing a convincing skin, would be the opposite movement of the wearer’s legs and the puppets legs. But I am sure this Clever Girl ™ will figure something out.

15 Likes

I know who is going to win Halloween this year.

I assume you mean, “I hope she feathers it!”

24 Likes

I love the “dog” collar with the loop to attach a leash and ID tags.

6 Likes

Also:

2 Likes

Very nice detailed movements she’s getting with that.

Sounds like she’s heading in a similar direction to the suit performers of this exhibit/show?

5 Likes

That would be cool, but I love that we can see the inner workings of the costume!

5 Likes

I could do without the “kickstarter” music.

1 Like

Neat! Would like to have seen more of the build process.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll admit it. The fluid movement and points of articulation on her costume puts my own PVC-based dinosaur costume to shame. Well done.

23 Likes

Rawr!

No, seriously. I think this moves like it is real. This sort of thing might tell us how raptors actually moved by what ‘feels’ right. Bravo.

2 Likes

Hope she fixes the pronated “zombie” hands, theropod wrists didn’t allow this. They were more like “clappers”.

1 Like

Clever Girl!

5 Likes

Well that’s a happy start to my day

1 Like

Nice work!

Holy crap, that’s cool! Hope she makes the plans available.

1 Like

Nerdgasm of the day!! I love this workmanship. The fluid movement is so realistic. Agree with the comment about the hands, but that is small potatoes relatively speaking.

1 Like

Hey BB friends, I’ve had a lot of issues with redirect spam ads on your site lately, including while trying to watch this video :frowning:

that is just fantastic.