English is weird

I laughed so hard I woke my baby up.

3 Likes

Glad I can have a positive effect on someone today, sorry about the offspring’s awakening though.

I actually kinda needed to know that I wasn’t a total dick today (sour mood, titrating down my stimulant doses), and I’m thankful to know that I at least made someone laugh.

4 Likes

It’s okay, she went back to sleep almost straight away.

2 Likes

Good. Glad I didn’t end up ruining your night.

He loves only gold

(Only) an adjective in a movie title may be usefully replaced by ‘Texas’.
You’d think “Adjective? Texan!” But no. It’s Texas.

The ‘i’ before ‘e’ except after ‘c’ rule has more exceptions than conforming examples.

6 Likes

I wonder, did you guys notice I started my sentence with an exception to the rule I quoted?

I like the sound of that but I’m struggling to think of adjectives in movie titles. Of course, I guess Kzysztof Kieslowski made “Texas”, “Texas” and “Texas”, part of the “Tri-Texas” series.

2 Likes
1 Like

The book I read last was Childhood’s end, so adding any of these is disturbing.

Not to mention his “The Texas Life of Veronique” and “A Texas Film About Killing”. Also that TV thing, “The Texas Commandments” or something.

2 Likes

Or the documentary about Obama’s federal take-over of that state: No Country for Texas Men.

I am Curious (Texas) isn’t as good as one might hope.

2 Likes

It made a good ballet though.

4 Likes

we go with “…like Hitler.”

1 Like

Oh I dunno. It made me laugh. But then I live in a Texas, Texas, Texas, Texas World.

The thing is, most languages aren’t so dependent on word position for meaning as English is. Or use “only” is so many different ways – “only” in the figurative sense of “merely” as well as specifying a particular person or thing to the exclusion of others.

1 Like

The Seven Ages of Man

Not old enough to know better.
Old enough to know better.
Not old enough.
Old enough.
Not old.
Old.
Not.

10 Likes

That’s only what she said

I only remember how to spell that word because e is to the left of i in qwertyuiop.

2 Likes