"I never said she ate my sandwich" has seven meanings depending on which word you stress

Originally published at: "I never said she ate my sandwich" has seven meanings depending on which word you stress | Boing Boing

8 Likes

The emphasis on the fifth word offers some intriguing possibilities.

25 Likes

Thanks for a great reminder to stop and think before assuming something negative from a tweet or online post. Nuance doesn’t stop existing because we jump to conclusions based on our own personal biases.

16 Likes

meanwhile, the video/audio is out of sync.
This Means Something.

3 Likes

It’s also why being able to use a few formatting characters can vastly improve -text- communications as well…

14 Likes

There were a few people at work that I had a hard time explaining things to. So I got up from desk and went for a little walk. Got things straightened out and had a nice little break from the screen.

1 Like

Or just use the formatting options.

I never said she ate my sandwich”
“I never said she ate my sandwich”
“I never said she ate my sandwich

But, without emphasis, what does the sentence mean?
  • I never said she ate my sandwich”
  • “I never said she ate my sandwich”
  • “I never said she ate my sandwich
0 voters
16 Likes

And yet, whichever way you say it, seven different people will hear seven different things. Especially if it’s during a meeting.

7 Likes

Maybe she should just label her food with her name and be done with all the petty accusations.

19 Likes

A friend of mine once emailed a coworker asking for a copy of a document she needed. The coworker replied, “I resent that.” It took my friend a few minutes to realize the coworker meant “I re-sent that.”

23 Likes

I once texted “No thank you!” when what I meant was “No, thank you”. Caused a bit of a problem until I realized the misunderstanding.

10 Likes

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/00d34e6b-87fa-49c9-bb2d-9b970228ca21

We are the people.

2 Likes

It’s also why being able to use a few formatting characters can vastly improve -text- communications as well…

Is that what you are accusing us of!

6 Likes

23 Likes

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but can’t really vote on this until we have agreed on a definition of “sandwich”.

27 Likes

8 Likes

tenor

11 Likes

This is why I stopped having Pandas over for dinner. I had a big guy over a few times, but he just eats, shoots, and leaves.

11 Likes

I say it has an eighth meaning in which she never said the other woman ate her sandwich.

More importantly is the ninth meaning, in which every word is stressed.

8 Likes