Enjoy the heavenly sounds of the glass armonica, invented by Benjamin Franklin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/27/enjoy-the-heavenly-sounds-of-t.html

7 Likes

Thanks Mark, that was awesome.

5 Likes

I had the chance to attend a concert where this instrument was played, way back in the early 90s. The sound is haunting. The glass armonica has the reputation of making its instrumentists go insane. When you hear it live, it doesn’t seem far-fetched.

4 Likes

Really cool, i kind of wish this video had been longer. I really enjoyed it and would have liked to have learned more about each instrument :slight_smile:

1 Like

The pro duo…

1 Like

1 Like

Also… Ben Franklin: wild man!

Bust some funky grooves Ben!

4 Likes

He was a pretty wild guy though, loved to party and really liked the ladies. Partied has hard as he worked lol.

2 Likes

There was a Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood with a glass armonica; turns out that the player was Shostak. (Maybe this was mentioned in the video? I’m at work and didn’t watch the entire thing)

As far as i recall it was not mentioned in the video

Legend has it, on stormy days if you listen close enough, you can still hear echos of Ben playing his electric armonica carried in whispers by the wind…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.