Enjoy this collection of Tokusatsu insanity

Originally published at: Enjoy this collection of Tokusatsu insanity | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That first villain looks like a lower-budget version of the mascot from those old McDonald’s commercials from the late 80s.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.52.18 AM

mac-at-night

10 Likes

Such a bizarre ad campaign, and the mascot wasn’t even the weirdest part. Some ad executive heard a dark song about a serial killer knifing people to death and thought “that’s it! The perfect way to sell burgers to the masses!”

8 Likes

If only there had been a Power Ranger around to shoot his piano with an arrow he would have just keeled over and exploded.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if the last one really counts since it’s from Akibaranger, which was itself a parody of the tokusatsu genre.

1 Like

Do any nerds remember one from ca. 60s to early 80s that featured a brother and sister who were banished/imprisoned on an island/cave and the brother turns into a white tiger? I had a vhs as a child and its plagued me for years trying to find it.

I had the same experience with a wacky animated film I saw on Nick in the 80s and finally found out it was Unico in the Island of Magic. Very satisfying and just as bonkers as I remembered.

2 Likes

Holy Shitake!

2 Likes

This brought back memories of staying up late watching Night Flight on USA Network. They used to air “Dynaman” which was a redubbed parody (think Power Rangers meets Most Exreme Elimination Challenge) show.

3 Likes

Weirder still, Moon Man had a second life as a white supremacist mascot.

1 Like

I heard it was just a phase.

6 Likes
2 Likes

I was hoping for the clip of the monster-woman who morphs into a ball that subsequently “attacks” by rolling down a hill? I am very disappointed that Google does not seem to immediately know exactly what I am referring to. That one was doing good numbers for a while.

And then there was the other monster who attacked by throwing pineapple rings that made its enemies turn into cans of pineapple…? Am I remembering that right?

I like the Defunctland take on the subject. It’s easy to forget the rather questionable state of McDonald’s advertising at the time.

1 Like

The Pink Armadillo from Kikaider. I did a deep dive a while back because I had seen it but needed to show this to my daughters who are obsessed with mythical beasts, but also are little weirdos who are always coming up with wacky animal based stuff.

5 Likes

Don’t ask me why this made me happy.

3 Likes

I mean, thats something you don´t see every day.

1 Like

It’s like, in the process of his harrowing escape, his body automatically went all fetal. Or was he just giving his tormentors the finger with his tail.

1 Like

Ahh, thank you. Definitely the first thing I think of when it comes to Tokusatsu insanity.

Found the other thing too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.