Enjoy this first-ever filming of Appalachian musicians

Originally published at: Enjoy this first-ever filming of Appalachian musicians | Boing Boing

10 Likes

You must be reading my damn mind.
I’ve been reading a book set in the Appalachians and the haunting music has been permeating my mind tank.

3 Likes

A) Colorization is of the Devil.
B) I’m pretty sure that is lip-syched.

1 Like

the incredible clog dancing scene

An old northern tradition here in UK, perhaps brought over to the US many years before.

The Unthanks are prime exponents today, as part of our great folk tradition here.

But that Applachian video is a wonderful thing.

(But I wish they’d knock off that shit with deciding people today cannot abide any black bars/borders around a non 16:9 aspect ration image, - “oh, noes, some of my big screen’s pixels are not being used!” - and decide to distract us all with moving glimpses of enlarged bits of it in the background.)

(ETA … wonders if modern tap has any origins in clog dancing.)

3 Likes

Enjoyed

1 Like

3 Likes

Well played - I’d forgotten about them.

1 Like

They were my favourite part about reading second hand copies of Private Eye; just like Grimbledon Down was my favourite part of reading second hand copies of New Scientist… oh, and the Fosdyke Sage, of course. I just loved Bill Tidy’s artwork. No doubt that 1970s’ humour has aged like tripe.

2 Likes

I grew up about two hundred miles east and 5 decades forward from where this was recorded. I can recall being a young being and meeting people in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC that still had the remnants of that accent. I enjoyed hearing the talking at the start of the video almost as much as I enjoyed the music. I do hope Bascom got that first prize he was after!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.