This 7-minute 1965 film features some incredible banjo playing, singing, and clog dancing

Originally published at: This 7-minute 1965 film features some incredible banjo playing, singing, and clog dancing | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The sound quality is far better than I had expected and it is a delight to see these people just enjoying their music.

6 Likes

That was great. Some talented folk entertaining each other; plus some cool looking stone work and a dog too.

Here’s some clogging from across the Atlantic.

And an old film about preserving the tradition…

Stealthy, ninja, silent mining clog dancers from 1920.

3 Likes

While looking for clog dancing footage I found this. No clogs, but a lot of other cool stuff.

Edit: actually, this does feature some clog dancing at 2:20.

3 Likes
2 Likes

And always an audience of small boys needing to be shooed out of the way.

3 Likes

As mentioned in the description, the man dancing in the beginning is Bascom Lamar Lunsford who, in addition to being a champion and scholar of folk music, was himself recorded in the 1920s during the height of early recorded country music. His recording of ‘I Wish I Was a Mole in the Ground’, made in 1928, was included on Harry Smith’s ‘Anthology of American Folk Music’:

5 Likes

Finally! The mystery of the monkey on the green sticks puppet has been explained.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.