Enormous and “potentially hazardous" asteroid will fly by Earth tomorrow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/28/enormous-and-potentially-ha.html

7 Likes

It’s just checking in on its electoral prospects.

36 Likes

What’s it made out of? (“meh silicon dioxide, ice, n’ sh*t”) Capture it and mine it for its chewy nougat filling of gold, platinum, and rare earth elements! At least put an internet relay on it to help out any future stranded astronauts. …awww they let another one get away.

5 Likes

35 Likes

Sephiroth theme intensifies

7 Likes

“the risk of a catastrophic astronaut impact”
Sounds like it would be messy.

8 Likes

Remember when we talked about a pandemic like it was some ridiculous future that would never happen in out lifetimes?

31 Likes

Just so you can sleep easier - 4 million miles is more than 16X further away than the moon.

6 Likes

32 Likes
5 Likes

It will be poetic justice if the one we nudge ends up in the orbit that makes it the one that hits.

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering what my life would’ve been like if I’d read anything other than Sci-Fi in my spare time. I’d probably be able to speak more languages, and have fewer apocalyptic scenarios in my head. :thinking:

13 Likes

All we need is Kushner to be put in charge.

12 Likes

22 Likes

Uh oh! A government agency is making us aware of a possible future catastrophe? Better defund them.

17 Likes

Earth will almost certainly confront a space rock large enough to obliterate a city, or worse, at some point in its future.

Great, it’s a fucking flying pandemic - one more thing to be unprepared for. I know, let’s just pretend it can’t happen to us.

la dee da dee da…

4 Likes

Is this the one I ordered in 2016? Because it’s late.

14 Likes

I’ll be really cranky if an asteroid destroys the earth and I spent the last 5 weeks of my life frustrated to tears trying to make good online content for entitled middle school students.

9 Likes

Now where did I put my thumb?

image 5-12 (signaling)

14 Likes

This last few years have been a bit too sci-fi for my liking…

14 Likes