An asteroid will come close to hitting the Earth the day before Election Day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/24/an-asteroid-will-come-close-to.html

5 Likes

I predict a lot of people will write it in anyway as a protest vote.

17 Likes

37 Likes

Republicans are trying extra hard to get it on the ballot in swing states.

8 Likes

Remember a few years ago?

(I might have invented a bit of history there). Point being “probably” isn’t good enough these days.

3 Likes

Thanks for yhe advanced warning, it’s better than last year’s “near hit”.

So how will this be spinned? Trump will forecast an event, and the sky will darken a bit? Or Trump will tweet a pronouncement and the asteroid will avoid earth as a result?

And then people will vote for him, believing he has power?

5 Likes

Damage is expected to well within the acceptable range:

13 Likes

4cjpai

11 Likes

I’ll feel pretty bad having that bumper sticker if hits us. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

And there was me merely hoping it might land on the White House at an appropriate time. But you nailed it. :wink:

2 Likes

I think if we all lean at the same time, we can catch it.

5 Likes

I think the only way it will aid trump’s campaign is if he goes himself into outer space to destroy the asteroid – and by destroy I mean ride it in like Slim Pickens riding the nuke in Dr. Strangelove.

5 Likes

We can hope

2 Likes

…but not close enough, apparently : \

Rather than write everything off, I think the plan is to call an audible a few days before.

1 Like

At this point The Onion should just pack it up and go home.

11 Likes

Now we need The Wall more than ever. /s

The positive here is that we know we can track really small objects so we can predict with some accuracy Trump’s chance of being re-elected.

5 Likes

Fox News version: “A giant asteroid will come close to hitting the Earth near Election Day. It could bring along a swarm of micrometeorites that could kill anyone instantly, so for your own safety on that day please remain safely at home. Your life is worth more than going out to vote!”.

2 Likes