Truck-size asteroid will pass extraordinarily close to Earth today

Originally published at: Truck-size asteroid will pass extraordinarily close to Earth today | Boing Boing

8 Likes

estimated to be 11.5 to 28 feet (3.5 to 8.5 meters) across

So a juvenile giraffe to minke-whale sized asteroid, then?

19 Likes

What kind of truck? A 1975 Datsun pickup or a Mack truck? Does it include the trailer?

13 Likes

Large asteroid the size of a small asteroid.

14 Likes

12 Likes

Thank Krishna’s cornflakes for “amateur astronomers” looking out(wards) for us! That way our “space force” [martial music mode] can take the credit for keeping us safe.

5 Likes

Please be more specific. According to the JPL:
“…the asteroid will zoom over the southern tip of South America at about 4:27 p.m. PST (7:27 p.m. EST)

2 Likes

Ah, I just figured it was going to stop stationary above the planet, like a truck at a rest stop, and wait exactly at the 4:27 pm line while the earth rotates under it for a day.

6 Likes

I believe London buses and brontosauri are the only acceptable units of length.

11 Likes

maybe this is one of those “probes of these billions of interstellar civilizations visit(ing) our planet scoping out our technological state:thinking:

8 Likes

I don’t know wether we should try to make contact or turn the lights off and pretend no one is home.

9 Likes

Right?

How can you be enamored of cosmological events and simultaneously ignorant of time zones? /smh

2 Likes

How about a banana for scale? “Just look at it!” I have one here holds banana up to screen

12 Likes

Just look at it!

9 Likes

Yep. UK radio tells us it’s the size of a bus.
(Crazy US measurements! Trucks, indeed).
Came here for this.

5 Likes

And what about the mileage?

7 Likes

Is Musk at it again?

images

14 Likes

An SI bus (10 kiloteapots)?

17 Likes

That’s just perfect.
:grinning:

3 Likes