71-meter asteroid to pass close to Earth tomorrow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/29/71-meter-asteroid-to-pass-close-to-earth-on-tuesday.html

4 Likes

My money is on the 64 Canadian Geese. The asteroid doesn’t stand a chance.

goose-canada-goose

5 Likes

neither close, nor 71 meter;

why?

5 Likes

Correction: 39 Canadian Geese

7 Likes

Not only is the size listed wrong, the article says from the first sentence that it will just “pass by”, and by the third sentence “Calculations by NASA predict that the asteroid won’t come anywhere close to Earth during its flyby

5 Likes

Not nearly close enough!

1 Like

Canada Geese, now?

Anything to avoid having to rely solely on a metric measurement, eh? :wink:

NB Canada Geese may not all be Canadian.

for future reference;

https://spaceweather.com/

1 Like

the whole “article” is just some weird filler and mixes for whatever purpose and reasoning the dangers of asteroids for earth and geese in aviations. LLM?

1 Like

A meteor the length of N geese is a lot larger than N geese. The scaling is on the order of N³

4 Likes

They may not be born here, but they are 100% Canadian!

1 Like

First, posit a Canadian goose, nicely fattened to a near approximation of sphericity on maple syrup and bacon…

4 Likes

thats why I wrote LLM questionmark (please dont call it AI)

1 Like

Point taken - given popular discourse though, it’s probably best not to assume everyone knows what LLM stands for.

Of course! At the very geese.

2 Likes

that really has to change. so, I will keep going to call it what it actually is.

Sure - just spell it out instead of using an acronym many people (myself included) aren’t familiar with :person_shrugging: LLM also refers to a Master of Laws, so there is room for confusion there.

1 Like

Unless it’s going to plunk the Earth, or cause a cool meteor shower, I’m not interested. :face_with_peeking_eye:

May be helpful.

1 Like

This. Why is the headline here the opposite of what the article actually says in explicit terms?