Entertaining animated history of Japan

[Read the post]

I am shocked by his complete ignorance of Sailor Moon.

3 Likes

His other videos are uniformly delightful, if quite a bit shorter than this one.

3 Likes

“Sexy Times” was my fav!

1 Like

Where are the various invasions of megafauna?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Loved, loved, loved and confused by: World War II “was bad for TV”?!!

I think he said “looked bad on TV”, but World War II did delay the commercial roll-out of electronic television.

1 Like

Have to also acknowledge that with all the tongue in cheek throughout, handled the historical dropping of the atom bombs with remarkably tasteful restraint…

4 Likes

If anyone has done this sort of thing for European history, I’d be all over that!

1 Like

Curiously enough, “Dutch studies” really was a thing in Japan for a while, even though it sounds like a joke.

Being a Dutch translator was a venerable profession in 19th century Japan that was handed down from generation to generation.

One of the guys on Japanese money was trained as a Dutch translator, and when Japan opened up to the world, he went abroad and was shocked to find out that hardly anyone else spoke the language outside of the Netherlands.

1 Like

Exceptional. I upvote.

That thing is funny, informative, and gives me a urge to read more about all the stuff he crammed in it. Well played.

If he ever revises this he should add the Ainu.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.