Epic Prophecy unleashed: the Mountain Goats lead singer designs exclusive Magic: The Gathering Cards

Originally published at: Epic Prophecy unleashed: the Mountain Goats lead singer designs exclusive Magic: The Gathering Cards | Boing Boing

1 Like

Obligatory…

2 Likes

MTG is such cash grab. The joy I felt first playing the game in the early 90’s is one hell of a nostalgia hit but I can’t reconcile that the whole system is exploitive AF. I mean from the start it was essentially instant lottery tickets targeted at kids attached to a game that had an element of gambling (that no one I know ever implemented). I stopped playing after fallen empires released it just started to seem designed to do drain you wallet more than anything.

Now watching them release all these new branded sets LOTR, D&D etc it’s hard to not be cynical about it. The only thing I think that would ever get me to buy more MTG would be things that would kill the secondary market. Either just straight up let people buy card POD at flat cost or just release box sets that contain known cards. None of which is likely to ever happen because $.

Secret lairs are both my favorite recent effort from MTG to cater to fans and the worst curated effort to reprint cards. This is literally a package of 10 basic mountains. Basic lands are so worthless that they include a package of 40 of them in their bundles mostly as filler. They’re charging $40 for 10 foil mountains. The art is fine, it’s not my bag but they seldom are recently but I think paying 400x the value of the package for some slightly nicer than normal but not as nice as the full art mountains is a rip no matter what how to feel about the mountain goats.

When my wife saw that, she said “Wait - are they brothers?”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.