Epic roguelike Dwarf Fortress hits Steam and Itch.io, with a beautiful new look

Originally published at: Epic roguelike Dwarf Fortress hits Steam and Itch.io, with a beautiful new look | Boing Boing

2 Likes

If you dig too deep, do you hit Balrogs?

1 Like

Top seller on steam, good on them.

1 Like
2 Likes

Yes (technically demonic armies IIRC), but you often find other sources of FUN before you get that deep.

4 Likes

It’s been on my Steam wishlist ever since it was announced. I’ve been trying for literal years to learn the game, but kept falling off the learning cliff.

I happily installed it last night. Will that happiness turn to sadness? Almost certainly.

6 Likes

Among other things…

3 Likes

Cool. I’ve always meant to try out Dwarf Fortress, but never got around to it.

It being on Steam will make it easier.

The most important improvement is the tutorial! Which you can bring up any time while playing.

It’s still one of the most complicated games to figure out, but at least with Dwarf Fortress you don’t have to play online multiplayer to generate astounding stories (unlike the other “amazing stories, but who plays this thing” game Eve Online)

3 Likes

Spreadsheets in space, Vs semi-sentient spreadsheets underground? I’m sold, let’s get digging.

2 Likes

Pleased to see it’ll still run on ancient, creaky rigs as well. First time my pc has been dramatically over specced for a game in a while… :confused:

2 Likes

An old article I was reminded of that lays bare just how wild the simulation in this game is:

1 Like
  • Stopped children and babies from joining you on your adventures

97170b193904bc718e0a835332f82c04

2 Likes

Not all of them are good changes…

Also, I guess, necessary after “Babies don’t start strapped with a knife”

1 Like
  • ALL primates have front and back legs (with accompanying feet), no arms or hands, yet have fingers, somewhere

They’re traveling with the Pages in Yellow.

1 Like

Gathering Blue and Red pages?

ETA: “Stopped happy thoughts from sleeping in beds in amazing dining rooms”

Am I having a stroke?

I think primates only let their fingers do the walking through the yellow pages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.