Epic Twitter thread uses classic art to illustrate the everyday sexism that women endure

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/02/epic-twitter-thread-uses-class.html

10 Likes

For the Twitter-averse, from the replies…

http://the-toast.net/2014/06/23/women-listening-men-art-history/

Also, in the vein of classic art interpretation, here’s one from WTF Renaissance…

14 Likes

Holy wowzas: the added captions are deliciously incisively arch, but damn none of these paintings even needs them to spell out the sexism.

23 Likes

Yeah, that struck me when I saw the thread, in a way that hadn’t when I had previously seen the paintings - there are a couple paintings down in there that aren’t (necessarily) about men being asses, but otherwise… sheesh, yes.

10 Likes

And the good news: you can already buy a best-of as a book: https://orbanism.com/produkt/pre-raphaelite-girls-explain-the-internet-by-christiane-frohmann/

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

2 Likes

Quite a few works of art treat women in very unflattering ways, it’s always bugged me but as a subject to deconstruct and delve into its something i’ve never gone into so seeing this twitter thread is great.

1 Like

I REALLY like that one of the girl on the train, if you could crop out the creeper. That lighting on the face along with the expression is fantastic. Anyone know the artist?

I think that painting and some of the others clearly shows people were aware of the skeeviness (sp) of some men.

In an added layer, the last one (with her hand shielding her face) could easily be “I’ve got this chucklefuck explaining his podcast to me, and now this asshole over here is painting us? WTactualF”

4 Likes

The artist: Berthold Woltze
The title… “The Irritating Gentleman”

7 Likes

Not “The Irritating ‘Gentleman’”?

3 Likes

Even just looking at the few that are illustrated here, the “If I ignore him, maybe he’ll go away” look really resonates. I don’t get harassed, cat-called or cornered on the transit anymore, being a crone at this point, but every woman has been through it.

8 Likes

Sadly, Sir Gentlecreeper didn’t have a good angle for proper eye/mouth swappage, so I had to content myself with relieving the painting of the somewhat unsightly stain of a man annoying a woman. I also took the liberty of changing the young lady’s expression slightly to evince more of a grateful smile, an arched eyebrow that asks “what deviltry IS this ‘photoshop’ of which you speak? and how might I acquaint myself of its powers to mine own ends? prithee what is ‘creative cloud’?”

I entitled this as The Somewhat Relieved Gentlelady you can pick up a poster in the gift shop on your way out, or via our Amazon affiliate link here.

17 Likes

Also known as “The Nice Guy™”

9 Likes

“Senator, senator … we brought you here for an hour, we’re treating you very fairly.”

2 Likes

[quote=“enkidoodler, post:13, topic:145252”]I also took the liberty of changing the young lady’s expression slightly to evince more of a grateful smile
[/quote]

She’s so much prettier when she smiles. ;~)

2 Likes

When looking at the original, I imagined the “Gentleman” saying, “Why aren’t you smiling? You should really smile more.”

8 Likes

Yikes. I tried to make it clear her smile was a sort of genuine ‘well now, that’s much more pleasant’ for deleting the ‘gentleman’, not ‘hey babe why dontcha smile, you’d be so much prettier etc’. I would think empowering her to make her own 'shoops should count for something, but perhaps not?

Anyway, sorry if that stilted language came off the wrong way to some. My apologies. Cheers.

Sure looks like she has an iPhone Red in her hand!

3 Likes

Oh, no. Not at all. I got it.

It was just so in keeping with the tone of the thread not to make a crack about it.

ETA: Like @PsiPhiGrrrl said.

2 Likes

Exactly what I thought! Those paintings dont need captions…especially that girl surrounded by men in office one. Whats that supposed to be?

2 Likes