'Epidemic of entitlement': Too many rude customers cause restaurant to shut hours early

The CRC infestation isn’t on a schedule there (though based on your name I’m pretty sure that you know that), it’s enduring and neverending. I’m raised in GR-metro but gone for 20y, but as seen on recent visits it’ll be interesting to see what all of the incoming health-care and other moneys/people bring. But at this point, in my little corner of Grandville/Walker, the faithful will still cross the street to avoid the faithless.

But, in the bigger case, why is it so hard not to be decent? Yes unusual situations might need attention, but why even bother yourself to get worked up? It’s like there’s a fury that needs to be released - but over some food? Hey, these people are feeding you and cleaning up after you. I usually try to give a little respect…

2 Likes

From the stories I’ve heard from servers in the U.S. over the years, they really do seem to be the most dreaded customers out there.

I don’t get it either. It costs nothing to be pleasant and respectful to any person providing service to you. Then again, I’m not a conservative.

6 Likes

Thing is so few people have been patronizing restaurants the last few years. That a lot higher proportion of the customer base either have an industry background or are explicitly trying to keep their favorite places and community businesses going.

There’s periodic issues with Anti-mask nuts flooding areas with lighter restrictions or where they think they can get away with shit. And I hear Florida has been an absolutely terrible place to work the whole time.

But for the most part people are making more and working more reasonable hours. Place I’ve been running since April I actually have trouble keeping my staff scheduled at more than 30ish hours, and all but one of the bartenders have a tip average above 25%.

3 Likes

Noting that the restaurants are beginning to talk to each other… Crappy customers might find themselves on a blacklist.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.