Grandfather finds "PLEASE SPIT IT IN TOO" printed on his restaurant bill

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/grandfather-finds-please-spi.html

2 Likes

“Please split it in two.” Bad spelling and inattention costs waitress job.

32 Likes

That’s a pretty flexible order entry system, allowing text like that.

Or… is there a menu selection for that on the screen?

14 Likes

Wait, it’s OK. She said please! It’s not like she was being rude or anything

2 Likes

What was the order conversation like? (“Hey sugar tits, git over here!”)
What were their respective skin colors?
Was he wearing a MAGA hat?
Are carmelized onions evil?
So many questions!

9 Likes

unlikely.

1 Like

I agree. If that’s what she meant, she would’ve told the customer that when confronted, instead of denying she even wrote it.

1 Like

“Shhhh. . . don’t say anything, or they’ll charge extra for the saliva!”

3 Likes

Fired about violating the NDA regarding the secret ingredient?

3 Likes

A friend/colleague of mine helped put himself through uni by working as a waiter in a Poconos restaurant. He told me of how in one particular incident one of the cooks there dealt with an underdone steak that was returned for further broiling; it was thrown to the floor, stomped on, broiled, plated, then returned to the customer. That sort of thing was not uncommon in that particular restaurant. That taught me a huge lesson on how to deal with those waiting table and what one should expect if you say the “wrong” thing.

3 Likes

As someone who has eaten at the Bohemian Beer garden many times, this does not surprise me nor does it especially concern me.

The beer garden is sort of an old-school neighborhood place that is suddenly, for a few months in the summer, incredibly hip on account of a unusually large outdoor space (for Astoria) and a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. So, they staff up with seasonal workers who are just as invested in the job as you would expect.

An interesting aside; A mini version of the Bohemian beer garden appeared in Grand Theft Auto 4 as the "Steinway Beer Garden:

1 Like

Confession:

It’s been thirty years, so I figure any statute of limitations has run out. I once spit in a customer’s sandwich. It was a phone order, which concluded with this exchange:
CUSTOMER: “And I want that ‘ASAP.’ Do you know what that means?”
ME: “Yes it means ‘as soo–’”
CUSTOMER: [Interrupting] “It means ‘as soon as possible.’”

Well, I spit right in that sandwich, as soon as it was possible.

12 Likes

Bravo. I’m pretty sure the vast majority of food staff spitting is justified unlike, you know, cop killings.

4 Likes

If only cops would spit instead of shoot.

11 Likes

I am somewhere between these two points, regarding my 1988 infraction:

EDIT: I am also somewhere between these two points, regarding my intentional use of Comic Sans.

19 Likes

I worked in food service and while I never did it, I always condoned it. It has to be done because beating assholes with baseball bats is illegal.

5 Likes

This is why you never transmit sensitive info in plaintext.

8 Likes

I dunno, between letting an explicit order to contaminate the food get printed out on the final bill, and misspelling a request to cut it in half, I find them both plausible scenarios. But I’ve never eaten at that place, not sure I’d want to at this point…

ETA: “Split it in two” and “Spit in it too”, transpose the order of “it” and “in”. Which the headline also garbles. “Split in it two” makes no sense at all, so yeah, it’s legit fucked up.

2 Likes

Damn you, auto-correct!

1 Like

A brief query showed that the customer is a Black man. Draw whatever logical conclusions you like from that little tidbit about the server’s possible motivations.

11 Likes