Grandfather finds "PLEASE SPIT IT IN TOO" printed on his restaurant bill

Of course more than one factor could be at play, but do we know her melanin quotient? :thinking:

So you’re taking bets, then?

3 Likes

Only place / enable modifiers that correlate to the menu, the typing mod can be easily turned off on any point of sale system.

that to me seems the most likely explanation - because why would anyone write that on the bill?

reminds me of my grandfather in the Czech Republic, it was common to spit in one’s beer before going to the bathroom. Imagine not trusting your friends to drink your beer. On the other hand it must be clearly seen, or you could always just put a sign (I spit in my beer.) But then its defeated when it says “so did I”.

5 Likes

And this is kinda why I can never condone this kind of thing no matter how righteous one might feel about it. If I’m at least being not actively an asshole in my behavior, I don’t think it warrants eating dirt or someone’s bodily fluids to get one’s food adjusted to one’s taste. It shouldn’t be traumatizing to send back a piece of meat that’s a little too bloody still cooked a little more. It just shouldn’t be that big of a deal, but whenever the situation comes up there is this mental calculation of sending it back vs getting spit, and there just isn’t any other profession in which we have to do this. If a cook is that invested in their own god complex, they need therapy or a different job. Sheesh.

21 Likes

I didn’t watch the video, so absent another explanation this actually makes too much sense.

Well yeah, and if you’d watch the two-minute video, you’d see that it doesn’t make any sense.

2 Likes

Can you link it? I looked around and couldn’t find it. No worries, either way.

It’s there in the original BB post.

Here it is again. Cheers.

2 Likes

Weird, not sure how I missed that, thanks. :slight_smile:

Now, having watched it, I still think it’s a plausible explanation. I guess the waitress just panicked or didn’t understand how she made a typo like this. Especially when you consider the following:
*Per the customer the interaction w/ the waitress was positive with nothing that would make him think otherwise
*Per the report the manager noted the employee was, this incident aside, a good employeed.

/shrug

3 Likes

Those seem less likely to me than good ol fashioned racism.

2 Likes

That’s mighty ‘unearned benefit of the doubt’ of you; it “must’ve” been a typo.

I’m not automatically assuming the server’s bad behavior was racially motivated; I just wouldn’t be very surprised if that turns out to be the case.

I don’t for one nanosecond believe the server meant “split bill in two.”

Because having actually been a server in the past, I’ve never worked at a restaurant where that part of the service would need to be conveyed to the kitchen staff; they don’t run the registers - wait-staff, bar-staff and sometimes hosts do.

4 Likes

Let’s get to the bottom of this. What the hell is a carmamel onion?

1 Like

Isn’t the typo supposed to be “Split it in two” referring to the burger not the bill?

3 Likes

Is it?

“Cut in half” seems like it would have made more logical sense.

But hey, what do I know?

2 Likes

It’s like a regular grilled onion, but cooked longer so it gets browned, and then spit on.

(Oh, and if you’ll notice, the headline for this BoingBoing story is “Grandfather finds “PLEASE SPIT IT IN TOO” printed on his restaurant bill”, rather than “…SPIT IN IT…” like it says on the receipt :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Why am I imagining a couple camels in a corner of the kitchen and each bit of food about to be taken out to a customer is passed in front of the camels so there is an opportunity for the camel to carmamel the food.

2 Likes

my thought is it is meant to “split the burger in two”, the waitress may be ESL - we don’t actually hear the her side. The thing that doesn’t make sense is why would you actually write something that can be so obviously incriminating. I’m actually surprised the news people didn’t think that it could have been a typo.

reminds me of my dad who was ESL going to get a propane tank re-filled and asking them if the work with a “bomba” because in Czech we would call the propane bottle just that. This of course nearly caused a panic at the propane place.

4 Likes

An EXCELLENT practical joke!

made to look like a caramel apple

4 Likes

Screenshot of the receipt in the vid:

screenshot

Weird.