Espresso consumption linked to increased cholesterol

Originally published at: Espresso consumption linked to increased cholesterol | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I’m a 4 a day too!

I have nothing to add to this discussion beyond that. What’s everyone’s brand of choice?

5 Likes

dodged a bullet I prefer pourover drip.

7 Likes

people who drink instant coffee

Kid Fury Reaction GIF

5 Likes

I assume the study found that instant coffee drinkers have no soul.

9 Likes

Welp, gonna pretend like I didn’t read that!

5 Likes

Now do vegetarian espresso drinkers.

Also, per

my rig:

8 Likes

what about “espresso” like what one gets from a Nespresso machine? Where it certainly isn’t just drip/pourover/whatever a keurig counts as, though it also isn’t “actually espresso”?

One guess might be that espresso is unfiltered, however they tested french press too and that isn’t really filtered in the “paper that absorbs oils” sense.

There are no more likely substances than wine or coffee to have the next ‘clinical’ study reverse the general finding of the previous. Conjectures for this include, (but are not exhaustive): they are complex mixtures which defy a single test version (more tannins in sample #721), there is money involved in the outcome (want funding from Starbucks?), and everyone is looking at something slightly different (exactly what form of prostate cancer?), etc. So… you want an excuse to drink coffee but have just read something scary medical about it? just wait a bit, another study will come along with positives soon enough. For examples try google searches which include “coffee inurl:pubmed” (bonafides: statistician on clinical significance of ‘red’ wine consumption when the researchers couldn’t even be sure what ‘red’ meant …heh) just one link

11 Likes

In my life that’s 60 plus years of “coffee good” “coffee bad”, make up your mind, will ya.

10 Likes

I’ll be right over, Lavazza beans ----> swoon.

2 Likes

Flair.

I have a proper grinder, though, so I don’t need the pressurized portafilter.

1 Like

Right? The one time in my life I’ve had a full work up the doc said my cholesterol was too low.

6 Likes

No shit, I just got my blood work back today and the Dr. said the same, shocker I’m low on vitamin D, I never go in the Sun, ever. My theory is that they have to find something, anything to get on your case about…

5 Likes

Hot tip: Amazon subscription gets this down to a ridiculously low price. But per @jerwin it’s all about the grinder. Mine’s a Mazzer Mini with 42 mm flat burrs

4 Likes

It is and do agree the grinder is paramount to good coffee, but I do cold brew to reduce acid for my Dear Wife, that’s 18 hours in a 1 gallon jar with a reusable silk bag w/ draw string. It’s delicious. When I’m hankering for a pour over, fresh ground is devine.

PS. I have done “coffee university” multiple times, every time it’s been an education.

4 Likes

16 ounce cup of freshly ground, French press java per day. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Mocha pot for me.

No Mocha pot brewers in Norway?

I. don’t. care.