Espresso consumption linked to increased cholesterol

Cholesterol is only a problem if you had a heart to begin with.

5 Likes

instant coffee is advocated.

3 Likes

I guess I’m one of the soulless ones, I actually prefer instant coffee. I find the more elaborate preparation methods don’t give me a drink that’s worth all the extra cleaning up. Also I quite like the bitterness which I don’t so often get from better made drinks.

2 Likes

The best part of waking up…

4 Likes

I use an aeropress, but we have a delonghi automatic, so I have a couple of espressos a day…

Not a big fan of Lavazza, Illy is better, but getting your beans from smaller local roasteries is best.

I have a few questions.

1. Cholesterol is not a net negative. There are “good” cholesterols, and ones that cause health issues. This seems to increase the Total Serum Cholesterol, which of those (LDL or HDL) does it increase… or does it increase both?

2. How much control did they have over other factors, as one things that seems to be quite obvious is that no substance in your body works in a vacuum, interactions between substances, gut bacteria, genetics?

2 Likes

Results Consumption of 3–5 cups of espresso daily was significantly associated with increased S-TC (0.09 mmol/L, 95% CI 0.01 to 0.17 for women and 0.16 mmol/L, 95% CI 0.07 to 0.24 for men), compared with participants drinking 0 cups of espresso per day. Consumption of ≥6 cups of boiled/plunger coffee daily was also associated with increased S-TC (0.30 mmol/L, 95% CI 0.13 to 0.48 for women and 0.23 mmol/L, 95% CI 0.08 to 0.38 for men), compared with participants drinking 0 cups of boiled/plunger coffee. Consumption of ≥6 cups of filtered coffee daily was associated with 0.11 mmol/L (95% CI 0.03 to 0.19) higher S-TC levels for women but not for men. Instant coffee consumption had a significant linear trend but showed no dose–response relationship when excluding participants not drinking instant coffee. There were significant sex differences for all coffee types except boiled/plunger coffee.

Sounds like plunger/boiled coffee (french press) still had a bigger effect than espresso (but the main purpose of the study was to look at the espresso response on its own).
It’s interesting, but (unless you have a particular concern/risk related to cholesterol) as they say in the study it’s important on the population level (especially with the high average consumption of coffee in Norway).

2 Likes

I could imagine some phenomenon where filter papers would affect the chemical balance, but as noted above, the French Press control group negates that theory.

I wonder where those of us on team Aeropress fall in the coffee threat spectrum.

2 Likes

I had a heart attack almost a decade ago. Back then in cardiac rehab they told us coffee was good for you, just don’t drink more than two caffeinated drinks a day. Then caffeine didn’t matter. Then unfiltered coffees raised cholesterol. Then oh, only good cholesterol. Then no, actually maybe there’s no difference.

I will continue to drink espresso.

2 Likes

That’s really a big problem. Espresso drinkers in Norway might have different lifestyles than the other types. It might be that espresso drinkers also eat more eggs, say, or that the rest of their diet is things like artisanal butter, or they work in ad agencies (a stressful job if ever there was one). Or that instant coffee drinkers tend toward leaner foods, or French press drinkers fib on the self reporting.

I see this as in the “Huh. That’s odd” phase of research. A difference was found, now the trick is to increase the size of the samples to account for other variables. And then figure out what is cause, what is effect.

3 Likes

Aeropress user here. 1Zpresso hand operated grinder, Starbucks dark Espresso beans twice daily. I’ve tried lots of other whole beans and this is the only one I like. The caffeine works great as an analgesic for my tendonitis and other wear and tear issues.

2 Likes

Same here, but my options are severely limited out in the sticks. In fact I have to drive an hour just to get a grocery with whole bean coffee at all. That’s why I asked what brand people like. I’ve tried the Lavazza, but it was ground and I didn’t like it. Everybody poo poos “Charbucks” though - am I just used to crap?

3 Likes

This is The Way.

Starbucks Dark Espresso is the only coffee that doesn’t have an initial flavor I don’t like and give an aftertaste that assaults my taste buds for a while after I’ve consumed it. I’m not a fan of overly ‘complex’ tasting coffee with all sorts of overtones.

2 Likes

This is a local to me roaster that I order from regularly Guatemala Finca Florencia - Caffè Lusso Coffee Roasters

When I really want to spoil my dad (the die hard espresso drinker in the family) I order a bag of their Guatemalan whole coffee beans. He travelled there before I was born and never managed to recover from the coffee.

1 Like

My kitty does 45 flat purrs a minute!

Once saw a tourist in Italy order a latte and the barrister served them a glass of frothed milk. Chefs kiss to that guy!!

4 Likes

Tempted to make a “it’s not just a good idea, it’s the law!” joke here…

1 Like

Don’t even think of touching my 2x demitasse morning coffee!
I do not drink espresso to wake up. I wake up to drink espresso.

3 Likes

Show me the negative effect data on all cause mortality and I’ll pay attention. Until then… sip

3 Likes

Agreed. Total cholesterol has little to no correlation to adverse outcomes except on the most extremes of the range. LDL does, and LDL/HDL ratio, but total cholesterol is almost meaningless for most people.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.