Taste test: what is the best supermarket instant coffee?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/22/taste-test-what-is-the-best-s.html

2 Likes

Available in Asian groceries

Otherwise,

10 Likes

I’m guessing this is here today because of yesterday’s excellent apology video trending on Reddit—right?

1 Like

Instant coffee is excellent for baking/cooking, and its worth keeping on hand for a variety of reasons (camping, emergency food, etc). Its really not as good as freshly brewed but it has its use cases.

16 Likes

If it’s not a double blind taste test, it’s bullshit. Everyone “knows” that instant coffee is crap, but in my experience, Folgers Instant was plenty good for those years where I just wanted one cup in the morning and nobody else in the house drank coffee. Now I’m up to several cups, so brewing half a pot makes sense.

2 Likes

appreciate that this guy risked developing a cockroach allergy to bring us this important information

6 Likes

I sometimes make cupcakes with equal parts of smallish chocolate chips and instant coffee in them, tastes a bit like cappuchino.

7 Likes

I have a childhood memory of baking my dad a coffee flan for father’s day with the help of my aunt, we almost did a dumb and put in coffee grains because the recipe called to add coffee but wasnt specific as to what that meant. After thinking about it for a bit we went with instant, the end result was great :smiley:

8 Likes

I suppose Starbuck’s “Via” instant isn’t considered “supermarket” instant, but I can get it at my supermarket, and I think it’s quite good. Pricey compared to other instants (but what did you expect.)

That said, I will give his and @Mangochin 's recommendations a shot, since I still use instant when I go camping.

[ETA: I have a jar of some average instant coffee at work, and I find it’s OK for iced coffee, the cream cuts the bitterness, and while I don’t use sugar obviously that would help too.]

2 Likes

Did you watch the video? He’s not a researcher, and he did a pretty good job of blinding himself, given the circumstances. He also ran down his particular problems with instant, not just doing the usual YouTube “awesomest evarr or worse than Hitler” stuff. Seemed like a pretty good rundown of instants by someone who doesn’t prefer them. And he certainly didn’t seem like he wanted to make anyone feel worse about their coffee habits. I drink instant because it’s easy, and I don’t want a coffee maker. About the worst thing I could say about this video is that, being in the UK, many of the better products he reviewed are tougher for me to get.

7 Likes

James Hoffman: The David Attenborough of coffee.

1 Like

Synopsis: Slurp, slurp, slurp. Slurp, slurp. Slurp, slurp. Slurp, slurp. They’re all bad, but this one is the least bad.

9 Likes

Medaglia D’Oro works well for baking when you have a recipe that calls for instant coffee.

5 Likes

Such as 5:30 this morning when my automatic coffeepot woke up dead.

3 Likes

Which is good because my wife just found a recipe for easy Tiramisu on TV that she wants to try out.

3 Likes

You can always put on a pot of hot water on the stove with the coffee grains directly in the water. You could taste it to see if its brewed long enough but when done you can pour it through a filter, paper towel or fine fabric. My relatives do this with coffee and loose leaf tea whenever they can’t be bothered to use the coffee machine or whichever thing they use to brew. But yes, keeping a stash of emergency instant coffee is likely helpful in a pinch.

1 Like

42h2zy

2 Likes

I now have coffee-coloured casual trousers in mind.

(Cappuccino)

:wink:

1 Like

It’s what I keep in my emergency kit.

6 Likes

I have had Mount Hagan and you are entirely correct.

It is surprisingly good.

Good enough to be an actual cup of coffee, not just instant granule swill that I dump on my vanilla ice cream in place of “coffee ice cream.”

3 Likes