Etsy bans spells

[Read the post]

1 Like

I find it ironic that these commerce sites strive to avoid metaphysics, yet claim to exist for people to convert an idea such as “wealth” into an experience they call “happiness”.

3 Likes

One seems to have empirical evidence, the other doesn’t.

At lower levels of wealth, there is quite a correlation with happiness. Above a threshold it tapers off.

The bills have to be paid.

5 Likes

Emperical evidence is, by definition, irrelevant to metaphysics. Also, they are both subjective experiences which people can associate with empirical phenomena, but there is no evidence of a direct correspondence between them.

This implies that people measure wealth in similar ways. And assumes that one is motivated by how happy they might be. This is why eliminating metaphysics is so tempting! It seems as if this would make things more straightforward, but requires taking many assumptions for granted.

1 Like

I think the “are the bills paid?” is a pretty universal measure at the lower end.

Unpaid rent or mortgage, and hunger and unaffordable necessary medical care, tend to strongly correlate with unhappiness.

2 Likes

Isn’t having any bills a way of being conned into buying something one cannot afford? How can anyone honestly say with certainty that they know exactly how much money they will have a month from now? Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

If only I had a crew of wizards to bless magic pieces of paper, then I would be able to live as I choose… XD

Try to live without them. Unless you’re homesteading with a lot of other variables, you have bills.

You can get relative certainty with decent enough probability to sleep. Generating some surplus to store away as a buffer for the unexpected is also helpful, albeit increasingly difficult.

It’s called “fiat currency”. Works well with “fractional reserve banking”. The trick is apparently to get to the team who is in charge of those.

3 Likes

Etsy was probably tired of dealing with spell related chargebacks.

9 Likes

But it’s perfectly fine to sell Farmville animals.

2 Likes

Obviously the spell casters need to cast a “change your policy spell” against them. Problem solved.

6 Likes

What does magic have to do with metaphysics?

Now I can’t sell services helping people achieve their 2nd potentiality…*

*by suggesting practice, and noting that it doesn’t work for everything.

1 Like

Says the person with enough money to have the internet, a device to make comments on said internet, and enough free time to do so.

At a low level, wealth can be happiness. Try living at, or below, a sustanence level, and see how many opportunities you have to be happy, compared to even the lowest of the “wealth bracket”. Beyond that, wealth can definitely augment happiness, or open up new avenues of it.

Photography makes me ridiculously happy, it also takes money. Sure, there can be a low buy in, but at higher levels of cost whole new things open up. I love the internet, but Cox needs its share. I love books, but they cost money, and to really enjoy them we need to pay our electric company boat loads of money to not die this summer (who the hell decided the desert was a good place to live?!). Heck, I recently had a serious medical problem, which turned into a low grade life long medical problem, an unfortunately large sum of money bought me a ton of future happiness, as does a monthly donation to pharma for the rest of my happy existence.

Money buys happiness. Consumerism doesn’t.

3 Likes

This is in the terms of service for Square, that you can’t (or aren’t supposed to) use the service to buy and sell things that have metaphysical or miraculous powers (the word specifically used was ‘occult’). I pestered their customer service about this very issue, and they made it clear that I could sell all the Magic cards and RPG books that I wanted to, but here’s the gist.

So,

If you claim it does something metaphysical, then you can’t sell it using the service. If, say, your religion says that it ought to do something metaphysical (a rosary or a St. Christopher medal blessed by the pope is an excellent example), then you’re in a bit of a pickle (because denying the metaphysics is like denying your faith). If you make no such claims (say you’re a Taoist and the Way brought you and a rosary to an audience with the pope (hi Mom!)), then feel free to sell it for however much you want.

The credit card companies really don’t want to have to process the refund for a miracle that didn’t work. But in doing so they take a religious stance anyway. Lucky them.

Any service that does not yield a new, tangible, physical item is not
allowed (for example: tailoring, restoring or repairing an item,
photographic retouching or color correction).

Any metaphysical service that promises or suggests it will effect a
physical change (e.g., weight loss) or other outcome (e.g., love,
revenge) is not allowed, even if it delivers a tangible item.

Sounds like new draft legislation regarding software patents.

1 Like

Well, now what am I supposed to do with this giant stock of newt eyeballs?

1 Like

Or that they are speaking the same stateful bags of meat-logic language.

Which, as this thread demonstrates, is not always the case.

Where can I buy such a spell?

But to exist is to do something metaphysical.

2 Likes

They still seem to allow homeopathic bulls@#t though. Oh well. One scam at a time.

3 Likes