Eulagisca Gigantea is as big as a squirrel and looks like an Evil Alien Christmas Ornament

Originally published at: Eulagisca Gigantea is as big as a squirrel and looks like an Evil Alien Christmas Ornament | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Pedantic amateur taxonomist here: The species epithet (Gigantea) shouldn’t be capitalized.

Cool worm tho.

18 Likes

29 Likes

If we are going to be pedantic, it should also be italicized. I mean, if your gonna go there, might as well go all in.

20 Likes

Time to go to the craft store for some gold garland and white scaley stuff and then repurpose my staple remover.

32 Likes

I agree with you, but the battle over italicisation of Linnaen names in forums meant for the general public (e.g. twitter) was lost a long time ago. Capitalisation is all we have left.

8 Likes

I love it. It looks like something from the Burgess Shale Cambrian Explosion fossils.

8 Likes

Can one eat this creature from deep?

3 Likes

Technically, the answer to that is always yes. Enjoyment and survival are not assured.

19 Likes

“I’ve never seen this animal before, don’t know what it is… but I’m going to touch it anyways…”

Cut to wide open eyes and air bubbles, muffled screaming… fade to black , bring up movie titles.

8 Likes

Ah, but is this not the whole point of pedantry? Against ignorance the gods themselves strive in vain! Once more, into the dear friends! And so on.

6 Likes

Wait, wait…so this thing is alive NOW? In this timeline?!

Ahhhhhhhhh…ahhhhhhhhhh… (gasp)…ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

10 Likes

I remember tearing up a character from the Aliens movie for messing with an alien snake. Guess thats what these guys just do. When it breaks your arm and plunges down your throat, remember I told you so.

4 Likes

Is your username because you dive? If so, stay out of the Antarctic ocean!

3 Likes

I bring this up all the time when discussing Alien. Remember, Ripley tried to keep the idiot who messed with the creature from re-entering the ship, but noooo…

6 Likes

Whenever I (all too often) come across Homo Sapien in print, my golden bristles bristle. :grin:

Even better. It’s from The Future!

6 Likes

It is, and happily I had already planned to stay out of icy water of all kind (because damn, it’s cold!). If they find some of these in the tropics, though… :shudder:

7 Likes

That scale worm looks like it’s fixing to sing the piano bar crowd a couple of Liza Minnelli covers with a voice that’s still strong though starting to buckle under from the Virginia Slims.

1 Like

What about bristle worms like the bobbit worm.

Those look scarier to me…

5 Likes

Why did I click on those?! Nightmare fuel, indeed. That bristle worm almost never ends!

The closest I’ve come is a bearded fireworm, and I was wearing gloves (luckily) when I brushed it off a buddy’s shoulder. THEN I learned what it was, and now I’m careful not to brush against anything when I’m exploring a wreck or overhang area.

7 Likes