Europe's highest court Facebook verdict hits a new low for technomagical thinking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/04/oafs-vs-humanity.html

1 Like

There is a way to automate this very easily. Just block any post mentioning Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek. To be safe also remove her account to avoid encouraging illegal posts. It’s the only way to be sure :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I predicted years ago that the internet would eventually “Balkanize” and I suppose this is a next step. That is, there will eventually be a European internet, a U.S. internet, a Chinese internet, etc, all with slightly different rules and content.

5 Likes

A VPN service provider’s dream. But if it gets that far, they’ll probably be outlawed.

2 Likes

So naturally we should now all go to Facebook and post that - “IMO Austrian Green Party politician Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek is a corrupt oaf, a traitor and looks like a ___ and insert name of least favorite animal here”. and use #EvaGlawischnigPiesczekIsAoaf

3 Likes

The obvious answer is for Facebook to start hiring wizards. All they need is a ruling from the court that orders wizards to exist.

2 Likes

I’m calling Austrian Green Party politician Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek a corrupt oaf right now!

4 Likes

These efforts have had disturbing potential for kicking off a race to the bottom,

We passed the bottom a long time ago, and the elevator is in free fall.

2 Likes

This is what I’d like to see. Got to be safe!

2 Likes

Roger that!

I’m not calling Austrian Green Party politician Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek a corrupt oaf yet; right now I’m just thinking it and typing it, and hitting “Reply.”

ETA: Now I’m calling Austrian Green Party politician Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek a corrupt oaf. I’m also calling her a technological imbecile. You know, if they’re serious about stopping this sort of thing, they really ought to prevent us from thinking these thoughts in the first place.

4 Likes

So most people here think that the EU Court of Justice overstepped its boundaries, I get that. The question is: What should be done? Should the First Amendment be the rule for all speech on the Internet? Should there be no rules at all? Should everyone be free to say anything about anyone every time? Is hate speech also free speech? I’d like to hear some constructive ideas :slight_smile: And no, I have none to offer…

4 Likes

This would also make Facebook Copyright Directive compliant. It’s the only way forward :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If only it was that easy. You can use a nickname, refer to her position in the party etc. There are lots of ways to identify a person without using the name, and computers will have a hard time recognizing them all.

1 Like

Eva Glawischnig is a textbook example for what happens when an open position just has to be filled with a certain demographic to hit a quota but no suitable candidate is to be found.

In her horrible ten year reign over the green party, she and her cronies managed to alienate progressively more and more green party supporters (yours truly among them), taking the party from 10.4% of votes in 2008 to 3.8% in 2017, dropping below the admittance threshold and losing all their seats in parliament.

Thankfully, Eva finally fucked off for good last year and in this year’s elections, the green party made its comeback to parliament with a historic high of over 14%.

But hey, in between destroying the party at least she found time to pursue make believe lawsuits to stroke her frail ego.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.