The BBC warns that new EU copyright rule will break the internet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/delete-article-13.html

3 Likes

Remember chat rooms? And remember how chat rooms protected our children by censoring naughty words? And remember how long it took kids to figure out the filter and go a-r-o-u-n-d it?

(Also, you may remember how it blackballed anybody named Dick, but it was fine to say “orgy” because it never occurred to anybody to put that on the list.)

7 Likes

I cannot seem to find a way to contact the people responsible for the ‘Save Your Internet’ site to tell them that when I enter my country, as instructed, the list of MEPs generated starts in Scotland, includes a couple in the Midlands and a few in London. What it is NOT is a list of all UK MEPs, so I cannot select those in my area and send them the form letter that says “… as my MEP …”

@doctorow I will try to tell ORG about this, as they seem involved, but if you know anyone linked to this, perhaps mention it quietly?

4 Likes

Even a broke Britain is right twice a day.

8 Likes

I used to babysit a kid who spent a lot of time on Club Penguin, and their auto-censoring was bonkers. You couldn’t talk about eating crackers, say that something was spooky, or mention raccoons.

9 Likes

Start censoring the entire legal and other corpus of the rule’s architects and of the reps who voted it in using bogus copyright claim and take-down mechanisms established by the very rule itself.

2 Likes

I keep thinking of Youtube, and how they keep flagging things as copyrighted material despite it being public domain, a different performance, bird song…

3 Likes

The Save your Internet site offers a selection of the most relevant MEPs for the file, considering the Committees they sit on in the European Parliament. If you want a tool that gives you all the UK MEPs to write to, the Open Rights Group has a specific one against Article 13 for the UK https://action.openrightsgroup.org/say-no-article-13s-censorship-machine

6 Likes

Then the site should not say/imply that I can contact MY MEP (it clearly says “email your MEP”) when I click for a list, and make clearer that I will be offered a list of ‘relevant’ MEPs not as in ‘relevant because you typed in a country’ but as in ‘relevant because they sit on a committee’. But thanks muchly for the clarification.

ETA @c4c Did you take out an account just to tell me this? :wink: Thanks and welcome to BB if so.

5 Likes

Spooky cracker-eating raccoons are the worst.

4 Likes

Thats-Racist

3 Likes

Not deliberately.

3 Likes

Damn it, are we breaking the Internet again?

1 Like

It’ll be fine in a minute.

ITCrow

2 Likes

What happens if people start using ROT13 on a hex dump of the Beyonce songs before uploading?

“Kill the Black Box for Jesus.”

To give credit where it is due; pitifully naive string substitution has been ranked as the #1 threat to our consbreastutional rights to free speech since the days of dialup.

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome, tanks for caring and sorry for the confusion

Especially if they were ■■■■■.

1 Like

Set up a bot farm to crawl the web and automatically file copyright claims on everything it sees, thus censoring the entire internet in a continent-wide DDOS until they repeal it? Niiiice

2 Likes

@doctorow Is there a viable alternative to using the internet? Is there a sort of parallel computing universe that you know of?