Every economics segment on the (British) news

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/05/every-economics-segment-on-the.html

11 Likes

Spot on.

Also, is it me, or does Charlie Brooker look and sound a lot like Jared Harris?

2 Likes

Andy Bell of Erasure is another one.

Small island.

3 Likes

Not only every economics news item, but very nearly every news item.

3 Likes

i snapped off the telly, turned to my missus and said, “well, we’re fucked, then.”

2 Likes

That’s a Numberwang!

8 Likes

I’d like to see Charlie and Emily Surname do this for Covid-19 updates.

Roger that.

I would rather have them concentrate on economic takes of the SARS 2 pandemic, but their take on numbers will also work on any case number reporting, of course. Concerned parents? Betcha. Replace the helicopter shots with some lab equipment and someone wearing a white labcoat. It’s not the fucking apprentice, but rather a version of CSI.

Now, can I interest you in some curves?

2 Likes

Random member of the public posts a snarky comment as a response to this spoof/deconstruction of economic news reports. It’s supposed to be witty in the hopes of getting lots of likes.

7 Likes

New graph shows the number of graphs may have peaked…

ETA: This is from this week’s Private Eye. More British humour.

9 Likes

Speaking whereof, Erasure did something similar with their very literal video from 1988

3 Likes

Did British TV invent “host walking toward the camera and explaining something?”

1 Like

here you go! :+1:

I’d like to see Charlie and Emily Surname do this for Covid-19 updates.

Charlie Brooker’s Anti Viral Wipe coming to BBC 2 on 14 May

4 Likes

I don’t know, but Eric Idle perfected it…

5 Likes

I’m a concern troll who does not get you are being witty, and I admonish you. Now I feel satisfied.

3 Likes

“Like you’re watching the fucking Apprentice…”

No, not that!

1 Like

Maybe - James Burke’s long take as he walked along the Apollo rocket at Cape Kennedy, timed perfectly to finish just as the space shuttle lifted off, was a pretty magical piece of tv.

2 Likes

Very much appreciated.

Bit of a legend that one. Except that there’s an edit after the long walk, and the launch is a separate take (you can tell, because his clip on mike has been repositioned). Oh, and it wasn’t a shuttle, it was Voyager 2. But still, yes, it was spectacular TV.

6 Likes

Emily Surname, Philomena Cunk, and Barry Shitpeas have produced some of my favorite news segments.

4 Likes