Every time there's a mass shooting, gun execs & investors gloat about future earnings

No more so than DMV fees for licensing and registration or TSA surcharges for air travel.

1 Like

Gun ownership should be like having a drivers license. You have to take a test and prove you actually know what the heck youā€™re doing!

6 Likes

Thanks for highlighting that my five years of tertiary education in law was misleading and uninformative. Especially the wasteful bits about administrative and constitutional law. And clearly, jurisprudence and philosophy of law was simply a lie.

Iā€™ll pay more attention to Rise of Empires. The instructions surely contain a guide to fill the empty balloon of my knowledge with the uplifting helium of wisdom.

Why not ALL? Because the writers of the original law knew that itā€™d be very difficult to enforce, and have it be sensibly written. An FFL is required to keep records of who he sold guns to, which guns he has acquired, which guns heā€™s sold. Theyā€™re required to present their records to the ATF when requested. A private individual isnā€™t.

1 Like

What about this race baiting one?

Holy fuck thatā€™s paranoid FUD.

9 Likes

I own guns.

That being said, this video is one of multiple reasons I hate the NRA.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve had a lot of fun shooting guns.

In the BSA at Fire Mountain scouut camp, I spent as much time as I could at the firing range.

They had a .22 rifle range. A long open walled roof with the pillars behind the 16 shooting benches.

They also had a combined shotgun / black power muzzle loader range in the narrow end of a forested box canyon.

The first two years I shot .22 rifles and was very good at it. Using iron sights, I could place five shots inside the radius of a US dime from 50 feet.

I honed that skill my second year exploding other kids laundry pegs from over 100 feet at an extreme angle.

Then I got into shotguns and trap shooting for two years. Where I shot so much I had a Montana shaped bruise across my whole right shoulder.

But I understand that if Iā€™m going to own these machines, I better cite a need.

6 Likes

Mine were inherited. Iā€™m not going to get into a competition about how good a shot I am compared to you (I might loose).

Between the WW I bolt action rifle and the single action revolver, Iā€™d be rather shocked if the government decided they were ā€œcoming for my gunsā€.

5 Likes

Iā€™m with you.

What Iā€™m meaning to say is, ā€œIā€™ve had a lot of fun with guns, but besides killing stuff, over found only one proper use for firearms, and I hate killing stuff.ā€

2 Likes

Are those ā€œguestsā€ paid by Fox? (The answer is ā€œyesā€.) In which case Fox -IS- explicitly pushing that narrative.

2 Likes

I actually was reading the thread bottom to top when I came across the video and decided to respond to it. I kind of feel it was a misplaced post now.

2 Likes

Donā€™t feel bad. I offered up some very personal details. Which can be pompous. I get that it can piss people off. But I just wanted to offer my experience for the public record.

3 Likes

My two observations:

Normally when thereā€™s a national tragedy that results in a bunch of dead associated thatā€™s with a specific brand of product you tend to see sales of that product drop. The reverse seems to have happened after Sandy Hook, though, with Bushmaster AR-15s reportedly jumping off the shelves. ā€œA maniac murdered children with this gun! I must have one!!!ā€ strikes me as an odd reaction, even with ā€œBecause this might be my last chance!ā€ tacked on.

Well made and maintained guns are very durable, easily lasting decades. As of 2011 the US is estimated to have 270 million firearms in civilian hands out of 650 million civilian weapons globally, and 875 million total small arms. That puts 41% of the worldā€™s civilian guns and 31% of all guns in the hands of the America public, and is more than enough to give a gun to every adult in the country. Furthermore, the number of households owning a gun has shrunk from 47% in 1971 to 31% in 2014. Together you get shrinking number of buyers in a market already full of a durable goods, that makes inciting panic and hoarding a very tempting strategy for keeping sales level.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a very useful, and important, BBC article on guns in America.

Gun stats. Well validated. From the outside, looking in.

6 Likes

Most people killed in wars are killed by human-portable projectile weapons, manufactured in very large numbers mostly in developed countries that themselves have no significant internal wars.

The NRA argues that if guns were controlled terrorists would use knives (for instance).

In the last terrorist attack in the UK by a knife wielder, three people were injured. In a recent attack in the US by a young man armed with two knives, on a chess club, one person was injured; the 75 year old veteran who stopped him.

However, in the US standard police procedure seems to be to shoot black men armed with knives, so it is clear that the perception of risk is very different.

4 Likes

Correct. So banning so-called assault rifles is pretty much the exact equivalent of banning light blue cars because 1% of highway deaths are caused by someone driving a light blue car.

1 Like

Your freedom to carry weapons in public impinges on my freedom to feel that my right to life is protected.

I could listen to gun advocates all day if they proposed solutions to all these attacks and deaths.

2 Likes

My guess is that you and I donā€™t share the same view of gun controlā€™s prospects for success, but I can confirm that what you said in this post is correct. People on the ā€œconservativeā€ end of the spectrum have a scarily distorted view of Obamaā€™s powers and intent. And every time thereā€™s a mass shooting, these people freak out and buy all the ammo. I bet thereā€™s no .223 or 5.56mm on the shelf at Walmart right now. Nor .22lr, which puzzles me.

I find it very alarming because thereā€™s also a rash of first-time gun buyers every time an incident happens. Many of these people are the least qualified to own a gun. They wonā€™t follow best practices for safety, they wonā€™t know how to operate their firearms, they wonā€™t use them responsibly, and they wonā€™t keep them properly secured.

3 Likes

True, but in a way that gives them at least the illusion of some distance.

Which just means, according to the surveys Iā€™ve seen, that theyā€™re joining the majority of gun owners in this country. The number of gun owners who have had even the most rudimentary training is shockingly low, only a minority store them safely even in homes with children, etc.

2 Likes