Georgia gun shop owner quits after too many mass shootings: "I just can't."

Originally published at: Georgia gun shop owner quits after too many mass shootings: "I just can't." | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Good on him for developing a conscience.

33 Likes

Sometimes, it only takes 984 mass shootings and countless innocent lives. /s

Although, you’re right. I am glad he’s contrite and wants change.

17 Likes

Because all those shootings were accidents from unsafe firearm handling.

34 Likes

When it comes to sincerely appealing to people’s morality even a fraction of growth in one person is a victory.

27 Likes

Uh, sure. They aren’t actually criminals until the shooting starts.

20 Likes

True, but I wish he had expressed a better understanding of the whole problem than “bad guys steal guns from good citizens and commit crimes”.

20 Likes

Where my mom lives somebody ran for mayor on a platform of firing teachers and replacing them with army vets. I’m not kidding. He lost but not by as much as you might hope and he’s super salty because the Republican that won is a woman. That’s a victory too though isn’t it? As humble as it is…

For real…I get angrier than you probably could ever believe about these things but even I have to say progress is progress however modest.

Perhaps I just do it to cope, but it helps.

17 Likes

gun safety applies to a lot more than gun handling… safe storage, transportation, and transfer are all critical to keeping guns out of the hands who intend to use them in criminal acts. Sure, plenty of people who bought their guns for “self-defense”/etc. might also use their guns for criminal acts, but if you’re going to commit a crime with a gun the best way to get it is to steal it.

1 Like

Hey, it’s a start. Right…?

5 Likes

Agreed. Maybe, like the abolition of slavery, little pebbles will start the avalanche rolling downhill. At least this statement coming from a gun dealer will carry more weight than from us bleeding hearts.

(Also, you’re a poet and you don’t know it.)

19 Likes

And for having a conscience he will now get harassed and threatened by angry MAGAvolk.

10 Likes

This is the part that gets me.

11 Likes

Fuck his conscience, then. That’s no meaningful change at all.

17 Likes

Qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent. :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Waldman insisted he’s not pushing for greater restrictions on firearm ownership but is only advocating for more gun safety

You can’t have better gun safety without more restrictions in place

11 Likes

One step at a time… let’s hope he’ll get there.

12 Likes

I’m sure all the assholes who shot Black kids who knocked at their doors in “self-defense” didn’t see themselves as violent, racist murders, but that doesn’t change the fact that that is precisely what they are.

The whole ideology around “home self-defense” is built on white supremacy and fears of Black people. Nothing else.

16 Likes

it seems to be a term of art

4 Likes

Or maybe the quotation marks around “law-abiding citizens” were actually air quotes made by owner as he said it.

3 Likes