Everyday antisemitism: a 1936 letter from Germany to America

Yeah, I hesitated in posting that because I initially thought that it might be interpreted as you said. But then I decided that I was being paranoid, and changed my mind.

Looks like I fucked up that judgement call. :frowning_face:

It wasn’t a conclusion, it was a hunch as to possibilities. And very likely a false one.

My apologies to all that were upset by it. I’ll edit the original if folks think that’s best.

6 Likes

People here keep speculating about everything and are becoming suspicious of each other.

Yes, cousin Ernst, when you put it that way the German Reich certainly sounds like a healthy society where “things are looking up.”

They’re very sneaky. One favourite tactic I’ve found of the more military-oriented deniers is to claim that the SS death squads in the east were really just executing Communists and other local political opponents (as often happens in wartime occupations), and that many of those killed just “happened” to be Jewish. The deliberate glossing over of the systematic programme of genocide of the Nazi regime by these self-described objective scholars of history is truly stunning.

5 Likes

No big deal from my end. I just wondered if you had seen something else in the letter or elsewhere that made you think that.

1 Like

The correlation to our current atmosphere is frightening. I’ve heard people query how anyone could have gone along with the nazi regime and their atrocious acts, yet i’m seeing some very similar sentiment from the right in the USA that make me realize that if we don’t pay heed to the lessons of history we are indeed doomed to repeat some of our darker chapters.

8 Likes

The right? More like the centre. Most of the supposed “moderate” Dems are fighting amongst themselves for the role of chief Quisling.

See this thread:

The GOP base aren’t passively acquiescing, they’re actively supporting. They’re only a minority of the country, and they can be beaten. But that will happen only if the majority is willing to do it.

2 Likes

ah, i get your distinction, that is an interesting point.

this is a chapter of history i hope we can avoid repeating, especially so soon. :frowning: darn humans, smdh…

2 Likes

@beschizza thank you for posting this. Its hard for me to formulate my feelings, so just thank you.

Thank you also to @LutherBlisset and @anon75430791 for your contributions here.

Unfortunately @Papasan, your comment simply cheapened the conversation.

Well, to be fair, they were looking up. Germany was hit even harder by the depression than in the US. It was one of the big factors on how the Nazis rose to power. Everyone was in the shit and looking for a way out. And antisemitism wasn’t unique to Germany nor the Nazis.

I have a bunch of stamps from the 30s and the Deutschmark was so worthless, I literally have a 100 million mark stamp.

3 Likes

This is not on the level of journalism I am used to from boing boing.

Oh, really?

1 Like

Yes, really.
It bugs me so much that I had to create an account here to say this.

But it didn’t bother you enough to specify what exactly the problem is?

4 Likes

Lack of historical context.
I don’t know how much you or the author know about German history. Not so much it seems.
The letter seems to refer to the Nürnberger laws from September 1935.
And “paranoia” is definitely the wrong choice of word in that context.

o_O what historical context do you need? It’s just a snap shot of history. A person writing his cousin and gives a a glimpse of the attitudes and problems in Germany, 1936. I guess one could annotate it and make some references in a few places, but I think by itself it’s a pretty chilling reminder of the not-too-distant past.

7 Likes

&_& so you agree it’s not a well written article.
“Paranoia” leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.
Greetings from Germany :wink:
zipzip

It isn’t an article. It’s an artifact presented nearly with out comment.

I am not sure why “paranoia” would bother you. Germany in 1936 had all sorts of shady shit going down. A lot of people were paranoid with good reason.

Gute Nacht

5 Likes

Smell the coffee. Paranoia indicates you are imagining things and there is no real threat.

People weren’t under threat in 1936 Germany?

5 Likes

My opinion: you don’t need to do that. I had the same unscientific intuitive hunch. @LutherBlisset made a solid point which you and I acknowledged. IMHO this is how constructive discourse happens.

5 Likes