Everyone hates the NSA: survey

In response, the NSA made an official statement: “Like we give a flying fuck what any of you think (including American citizens)”.

5 Likes

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Still, 61 % of all Americans are okay with being monitored by their government. 78 % of Germans think that Americans shouldn’t get monitored by the American government. Of course, even more do not want to get monitored by the Americans, but know perfectly well that they don’t have any rights as long as they are outside the US.

So still , “No wonder they don’t get it” - the view on privacy and freedom from gorverment surveillance differ so much, that Germans and American don’t speak the same language. (But okay, we knew that ever since they dubbed the USA-GER alliance as “Freundschaft”, ignoring the linguistic chasm that separates this word from “friendship”.)

Same with free speech and freedom of religion, of course, only with reversed attitudes.

2 Likes

I think it was George Carlin who said something like “picture the average American…half of them are dumber than that.”

2 Likes

Because they know Canadians are too polite to say what they really think. :wink:

I’m just glad somebody takes an interest in me… even if it is just the NSA… :’(

That doesn’t mean you give up. It means the task is harder.

1 Like

Some of those responses seem really bizarre. Why would so many people in India and Nigeria think that Americans spying on them is acceptable? But look at the non-response rate from those countries too. In India the numbers only add up to 68%, in Pakistan it’s 67%.

I wonder how many people in Pakistan, upon hearing the question, thought that it must be the Americans calling to see whether to put them on a watch list of some kind.

Looks more like Americans don’t speak the same language as most other countries in the world.

In any case, the poll would be much more interesting if it had actually asked about government surveillance, in general, rather than focusing on US government surveillance, in particular. Furthermore, the detailed breakdown seems to indicate that many more people around the world are okay with the American government spying on its own citizens.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.