Everyone who's raving about Hannah Gadsby's special 'Nanette' is right

Bodily autonomy is a bedrock issue shared by cisgender women and trans men & women.

And both are the first being targeted by the rising right. They’re trying to mandate empowered cis women and all trans people out of existence.

Edit; among the first.

11 Likes

Yes. In the show Gadsby talks about gay Mardi Gras in Sydney which, according to Teh Wiki, has been going on for 40 years.

5 Likes

Guys, please, don’t misconstrue me. (I know you’re not just talking about me…)

I am so completely unburned by her content. I endorse it entirely.
I am ALL for the MARGINALISED speaking UP. Loud and clear. And I am moved and lifted when that happens.

It didn’t happen for me cause she wasn’t good enough. Not funny, not clever.
What can I say.

Agreed. It’s too bad that some cisgendered feminists activists often can’t see that. That’s entirely detrimental to both the rights of trans people and the rights of cisgendered women.

ds9-jadzia-really

13 Likes

As I said above, funny is subjective. I only got about 5 or 6 good laughs out of it myself. But looking at the structure of the show (including jokes that circle back later on to comedic effect) it’s hard to understand why anyone wouldn’t see its cleverness.

ETA:

You highlight the passage you want to quote and a “Quote” button will appear above it; press it and it’s copied over to a new comment. You can continue adding quotes as you like.

Okie dokie then…

I’ll leave it there.

4 Likes

Sorry, don’t know how to quote like you do. WOuld be useful for clarity.
And sorry for not addressing all your points, I get lost in the user interface.

yes of course I’m aware that I quoted two cisgender blokes. it’d be better if my best examples were also from marginalised people.

And about that: I have NO problem with the word marginalised. I just felt like I was typing “the gays”. Felt weird to type so I put quotation marks. Coulda left them out :slight_smile:

Just thought of another example of a Mainstream artist coming through powerfully with a subversive act.
Conchita Wurst. That felt a lot “edgyer” and timely and exciting than this here special.

It’s been a pleasure chatting to you.

Tom Neuwirth (Wurst) is cisgender as well. He identifies a gay and as a man. A stage persona is just that in his case.

1 Like

That’s an interesting perspective to know. I do think it’s often worse here than most people understand, though.

We might both have, of course.

2 Likes

You seem to imply I said he wasn’t but you got your wires crossed.
I was presenting the example as a “Mainstream artist coming through powerfully with a subversive act.”

Not the most eloquent of definitions but still, different.

Is it OK to use that expression ever?
I think it’s a legittimate opinion? FOR MEEEEEE is always implied, no?
If so, what’s wrong with using it here?
Don’t put me down with sassy gifs please.
(Or do, I don’t actually mind)

It’s still sausage fests, all the way down.

5 Likes

They are the same exact topic/subject if the category is “creative works which challenge conventional notions and the status quo with regards to marginalised groups”.

You know, and I know, that “meet your standards” is very pointed and mocking.
Not fair.

I’m no comedy buff but…Maria Bamford? Sarah Sliverman?
Oh, that incredible bit by Tig Notaro and Cancer?

Nah - this is pointed.

Three flips of a fair coin

Example 1. Suppose you have a fair coin: this means it has a 50% chance of landing heads up and a 50% chance of landing tails up. Suppose you flip it three times and these flips are independent. What is the probability that it lands heads up, then tails up, then heads up?

We’re asking about the probability of this outcome:

(H,T,H)
(
H
T
H
)
Since the flips are independent this is

p(H,T,H)=pHpTpH
p
(
H
T
H
)

p
H
p
T
p
H
Since the coin is fair we have
pH=pT=12
p
H

p
T

so

pHpTpH=12×12×12=18
p
H
p
T
p
H

So the answer is 1/8, or 12.5%.

1 Like

I thought you’d made a GREAT joke about punctuation there.

You can say “I didn’t like it” and then move on. Don’t repeat yourself.

7 Likes

Marginalized isn’t merely a label, any more than for example disenfranchised is merely a label. Both are factual actions done to groups of individuals. You cannot credibly deny that marginalization occurs.

7 Likes

That may well turn out to be a Phyrric victory for the transphobes.

The NHS was supposed to lead the march as they had their 70th anniversary last Thursday, and nearly everyone in Britain loves the NHS. Just keep mentioning that the transphobes forced the NHS marchers from their rightful place and watch as the fence sitters decide to stand against them.

8 Likes

If “if” was a fifth, we’d all be drunk.

The topic is Nanette; clearly you didn’t care for it, and that’s fine… but the universe doesn’t revolve around you or your preferences.

What works for ‘everyone else’ needn’t necessarily work for you, and vise versa.

And now I am going to get drunk;

10 Likes

You’d get more mileage and actually have a point if you focused on yourself and your reflections on it rather than attempting to say she failed. Pleasing YOU was never the objective. It never is for any artist. They don’t know YOU.

BTW, I fucking can’t stand Sarah Silverman though I agree with much she says. She didn’t FAIL though. I just don’t enjoy it. Big difference. Anyway… blah blah blah… you defend your opinion too much for that opinion to be taken in good faith. People should recognize their own limitations.

13 Likes