Everyone who's raving about Hannah Gadsby's special 'Nanette' is right

Come. On. So disingenuous.
Nothing is for me. Nothing is for anyone. Everything is for everyone.
Are we done philosophizing?

It’s a performance. I’m judging it. I’m commenting on it.
Not to be mean or spiteful but to understand and share.

And “defending one’s opinion too much” is a truly Orwellian charge.

yes, people should recognise their own limitations and also say please and thank you and not pick their nose in public.

IOW, “you’re lying.”

Just what is it you think @TornPaperNapkin actually thinks but didn’t say?

11 Likes

Surely you’ve had the automatic warning about posting in one thread too much?

It’d be nice if you’d let it go.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t it be nice if they were angry because they respected trans people and found it especially repugnant that some used a Pride event - meant to honor the community- as a forum for spreading hate & bigotry?

7 Likes

Aww c’mom dude. The most intimate, raw part of the show climaxing in, “pull your fucking socks up!” followed by the fashion advice from a lesbian punchline? If you didn’t at least chuckle then you weren’t paying attention.

More to your point, it should be abundantly clear this show was not designed to be “funny and clever.” You can see it in her body language and hear it in her voice. She’s tired.

At the very least you should acknowledge she has a powerful and important perspective to share, and be grateful she’s on stage doing her thing. Harping on her for not being funny or clever enough is just epicly missing the point.

8 Likes

It would be, but they have had decades to do that and haven’t got of the fence yet.

4 Likes

You’re taking issue with “much needed”? Which problem is solved to the point that we don’t need to talk about it, misogyny, homophobia, or the way people at the margins are treated? Maybe some would say homophobia, but from where I live in Texas, I still see a Vice President and a constituency that is soaking in it.

7 Likes

… Or just a suggestion for getting along better with people and making yourself understood more clearly. Could be that but yeah, whatever… let’s go with doublespeak cause um… it’s double plus ungood!

6 Likes

Nope. Just quoting someone else I think. If not, it’s a bad habit of adding quotations.
I’m sure someone needs to hear what she’s saying.
But for some people even the basic principles of, I don’t know, evidence based science are a “much needed” subject…

To all those still writing/replying to me.
I just wanted to talk to someone about my impressions on the show but it has been made quite clear to me that I should STFU and scram. Links to boingboing guidelines and cheap shots and whatnot.

I can’t say it’s been a pleasure.

You started out this whole thing by saying she essentially sucked, and attempted to make your taste some sort of objective measure of good. You’re more than welcome to your opinion of her work. You didn’t like it, great. You’ve pretty much been acting this ongoing discussion as if you’re taste is someone objective of talent. That’s the problem people are having here.

No. It’s not, actually. All we have to read here are actual words. We are taking you at your word, because we’re not having a face to face discussion.

6 Likes

I like Hicks and Brand too, but how precisely do they represent a marginalized groups. They are straight, cisgendered white dudes.

6 Likes

I’ve been asked about female comedians I like already, cause that’s a test you need to be able to express an opinion.
Anyway, Maria Bamford is probably the best? Sorry I mean funniest? Sorry I mean, most atune to my own personal experience?
Um, that show Fleabag? Know it? Amazing.
Um, Sarah Silverman sometimes?
Must I go on? When will you like me?

Should we start a go fund me page to buy you a full length mirror?

7 Likes

No, YOU go buy a mirror!!
ha!
Is this how I’m meant to respond?
You’ve broken me. Leave me alone.

So now you want to play victim? Because your opinion has been challenged? Yes, you’re allowed your opinion, which you’ve repeatedly and repetitively expressed here. Others, too, are allowed opinions, even if they’re different from yours. Everybody who wants to participate gets a say, and even debate is fine. Instead of saying you’ve been “broken”, how about you shut the fuck up and allow others to express their opinion?

7 Likes

The show worked for me. Lots of things stick in my head. I think tons of guys would be very surprised how scary a group of just them can feel. Her story about the damage that the internalized misogyny and homophobia have caused was wrenching, and resonated with my own struggles around gender and identity.

Her talking about her anger, and how to express it, and saying how destructive it was… man, I just don’t like. I want to think everyone has a right to all of their feelings, but anger is tricky. I guess the classic analogy is fire? Anger can be harnessed to power a person, but it can be so destructive. I’m not sure I disagree with her. I guess the clearest I can be is that I hope she wants to shield people from her anger out of a belief that it’s unproductive, and not because women have been taught that anger is only permissible for guys. Hope this came out more clearly than my muddle of thoughts.

The interplay of comedy and story while analyzing how comedy and stories work was beautiful. Her recognition of the toll it has taken on her, and how it has hindered her growth was something I have never heard someone talk about. It’s going to change how I listen to comedians. Especially the part about maturity.

This is going to be like that thread on emotional labor from a few years back. I know it’s going to change how I think.

11 Likes

FTFY. What we’ve seen in this thread is: you not listening to what others are saying; you assuming that no-one else here has heard of oh-so-“obscure” pieces of art like “Get Out” or “Fleabag”; and your surprise that your (initially poorly supported) declaration that something isn’t good is being challenged instead of accepted as gospel.

All that indicates to myself and others here that the only voice you’re really interested in hearing on this topic (and other cultural ones, like music) is your own.* If that’s your approach you might want to consider starting your own blog instead where you can pontificate on the arts – your brilliance and extensive knowledge of obscure stuff (or popular stuff before it was cool) will no doubt make you a titan of the Internet.

[* or one that validates it without question]

7 Likes

And I’m going to hear a derpy “But Cubism!” every time someone mentions Picasso from now on, I just know it, lol.

7 Likes

Obligatory:

7 Likes