Excellent advice: 3 minutes of Poppy reciting "Delete Your Facebook"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/25/excellent-advice-3-minutes-of.html

2 Likes

“Delete Your Facebook.”

Best advice on BB.

6 Likes

Oh, I don’t know… Once I reined it in to the 40 or so people who I actually have a damn to give about, and blocked a dozen or so awful people I share some friends with, and locked down all the privacy settings, facebook became pretty tolerable.

But yeah, it has redefined friendship in a similar form as how twitter has elevated twits.

5 Likes

Actually, it’s terrible advice. Facebook is one of the ways that the Women’s March and the #NODAPL movement were organized. Once you’ve changed your privacy settings to ‘Friends’ to keep out the riffraff, Facebook can be a great tool for fighting against the Orange Menace.

4 Likes

kind of under mined when it’s immediately followed by a “Share this on Facebook” link.

9 Likes

The only redeemable part of facebook is being nominally connected with friends of the past along with far away family members that I hardly get to see in person. That I’m grateful for. Anyhow, I think facebook could easily replace by something less “Big-Brotherly”, the only trick is getting others to go along with it.

1 Like

Facebook?!?
We don’t use no stinking facebook!

/No “Social Media accounts”

3 Likes

Hey, life is sometimes paradoxical. You gonna tolerate the intolerant?

1 Like

So glad someone I don’t know and have never heard of is telling me what to do!

2 Likes

For maximum retention I suggest making it interactive by selecting the video and typing, “9-5-1 9-5-1 9-5-1 9-5-1 9-5-1 …”

Is youtube on higher ground than facebook?

And with such sound and well-presented reasoning, too!

This is really only good advice to people who don’t have previous-generation relatives who hound you mercilessly for photos of your kids.

6 Likes

Give me…         …3min…         …of my life back.

4 Likes

You watched more than 10 seconds of it? Cause that was all that I could stand.

1 Like

From experience: not having Facebook is AWESOME.

3 Likes

Poppy operates in a sort of irony field of high weirdness at all times - three minutes of “delete your Facebook” followed by a “Share this on Facebook” link is, I’m guessing, entirely in line with the artistic vision here.

She has a series of videos where she just reads the bible for like an hour and a half.

2 Likes

I love Poppy!!!

1 Like

I’m discovering her right now. So cool. There’s something about Surrealism/Dada/absurdity/weirdness that cleans out all the spiders in my brain. It’s almost like it’s mildly painful to maintain the webs of interconnected meaning, to continually remember the rules of cause and effect, so that it feels like a relief to enter a space where they’re being freely twisted, remixed or ignored.

2 Likes

Same director did this one in 2014

2 Likes