Excellent USB microscope on sale for $30

OK I got one of these the last time Mark or someone hawked them.

The resolution is… wanting. But what do you want for $30? That would be my biggest single want of improvement.

I tend to do it hand held vs using the stand, and so I can blur stuff up when trying to get it to focus. I am not really sure how great the magnification is, as it seems to generally have a close and closer focal point, and how many times that is magnification wise depends on how far away it is from the lens, I think. The software is basically freeware USB camera software, so it should work with a phone, I’d imagine with the right adapter. The focal length of course is short - duh - it is a microscope.

I was disappointed I couldn’t find any rotifers when I tried pond water, but I think this spring I am going to try to find some water bears. They are about .5mm, so I should be able to see them with this.

Also, DON’T use it on your body. Even the most clean looking area is full of flaky skin, dirt, and other weirdness. Certain, parts even look like cracked Martian deserts of weirdness.

Here are a few pics I have taken.

Spot of White on an LED monitor.

Ant mandibles in amber

Fly in amber

Another pic of it. You can wiggle the focus to bring different levels into focus.

What is it? No idea, but its in my amber.

And that same thing in the closer setting.

Mosquito looking thing, probably a type of fly though. I dunno.

High thread count sheets.

Same magnification, crappy dish towel.

Some little round crystals in I think pumice sent to me by @japhroaig from the Canary Island of Tanerife.

Same island, sample of a red/brown scoria, volcanic rock.

And another of a black, heavier scoria which I think might be more of a glass.

7 Likes