Excellent use of 3D printer to make, um, HDMI to garden hose adapter

Originally published at: Excellent use of 3D printer to make, um, HDMI to garden hose adapter | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Only if you want to spray your data all over the place.

5 Likes

28 Likes

Missing GPIB. I still run equipment that uses that connector.

Also good old D-SUB serial connectors!

12 Likes

d459a240cce8a40130bde1fd7d9f2e38

Image added for clarity:

14 Likes

Well, at least the household water supply can get charged now.

3 Likes

Do data charges apply? Asking for a…

2 Likes

This is how those “they’re putting it in the drinking water and once you drink it they can track you anywhere” conspiracies get started, you know! :wink:

4 Likes

Water-cooled! Hope they have a suitable ASSE backflow preventer to keep the computer viruses from contaminating the water supply.

3 Likes

12 Likes

It has the European connector which limits the Ethernet to 50hz

6 Likes

12 Likes

“Well I don’t really know. I need a fast and expandable machine that’s top of the line but also capable of talking to my old luggable laptop.”
Mr Smiles likes the words “Fast”, “Top of the Line” and “Expandable”. He runs over to a machine surrounded in glitter and advertising and gestures at it. “This is probably what you want then. The latest thing. There’s only two in the country and luckily we have one here today”
“Yes yes, but will it talk to my laptop?”
“THIS baby will talk to ANYTHING. What’s the interface, ethernet?”
"No, a SCSI-1 Interface. My machine pretends to be a disk, ID 3. But lots of machines kill my machine’s powersupply with inductive transience backflow due to a non-standard SCSI interface…
DUMMY MODE ONE<
He practically BEGS me to try the new machine out. Which I’ve been waiting for. I drag out my luggable, which is, admittedly, a bit of a beast.
“Wow! That IS old!! And >ungh!<… quite heavy too. I guess you’re quite attached to it?”
I mumble about legacy data, only use it at home, sentimental value and irreplaceable software while he plugs it in and starts the host machine.
“Okay, let’s see what we can see” he says, and presses the power-on switch on my “portable” The 31 hefty nicad batteries that make up almost the entire inside of my “laptop” pour grunt into a tripling inverter which in turn supplies RICH, CHUNKY VOLTS to alternate pins on the “SCSI” bus, whilst emitting a dull “uuurk” sound.
“My Laptop!” I cry, reaching for it, just as smoke starts pouring out the back of the display machine. Mr Smiles dives for the demo machine weeping, while I exit, in “anguish”…
…resetting the circuit breaker in my machine as I go…
…to the next stall…
“Hi there, you look like someone who needs an upgrade!” the salesman chirps
“Well I don’t really know. Is any of your stuff capable of talking to my luggable laptop?”

https://www.chinet.com/html/bofh/tradeshow.html

12 Likes

We’re almost there.

Probably doesn’t work-- the fstoppers review roundup wasn’t favorable.

The latest imac looks like this.

Probably spaced differently for safety reasons-- similar to how dual banana plugs are banned

1 Like

All of which results in my very favorite adapter ever: compressed air quick connect to 3-pin XLR.

14 Likes

I really don’t understand why anyone would 3D print one of these. It’s not like they’re expensive.

7 Likes

When shorting bars are outlawed only outlaws will synthesize!

7 Likes

Banana connector - Wikipedia

In most European countries, the standard mains power receptacle will physically accept banana and even US-style “double banana” plugs (the standard US pin spacing of 3⁄4 inch (19.05 mm) is close enough to the mains plug spacing of about 19 mm, and the pin diameter is also compatible), leading to a risk of electrical shock. For this reason, throughout the European Union, the sale of audio amplifiers and loudspeakers that accept banana plugs is prohibited as is the sale of loudspeaker leads terminated in such plugs. The UK was included in the prohibition even though such mains sockets were not used there.

4 Likes

26 Likes

Perfect for connecting a series of tubes.

3 Likes