Exhibition of classic fractals

Originally published at: Exhibition of classic fractals | Boing Boing

2 Likes

One of my go to apps in the DOS days was fractint. You have to remember though this was also the time of having CGA monitors and “new” VGA monitors so creating fractals was really magical. Damn I am old.

10 Likes

FractInt and POVRay were the two apps that convinced me to save up for a Math Co-Processor.

9 Likes

POVRay! I have not thought about that in forever! Such were simpler times. I miss the 3D cards that had the 2D pass through cable on the back. :smile:

3 Likes

I miss Doug’s Math Aquarium. Hmm. I can’t even find anything more than a few lines of text about it and not even a real description. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

A crude image of the Mandelbrot set, generated by a TRS-80 Basic program I wrote back in the stone age. This 128x48 monochrome image took ages to generate on the hardware of the day, even after compilation:

It’s amazes me that today much higher quality images can be calculated in real time as one pans around, zooming in and out.

4 Likes

It’s an anteater looking for ants doc. Why are you showing me an anteater looking for ants?

2 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.