Existential Dread in an Alt-World

My mom lives in Nashville so if you are talking to me, :cocktail:

11 Likes

Iā€™d say, too, that if I could pick just one off the list, the one that will likely make the biggest difference is controlling your sleep cycle. Iā€™ve been using the bedtime app built into the iPhone of late to try to regulate mine.

10 Likes

I agree: it makes an enormous difference. And, again, different strategies work for different people.

The reason I put ā€œtake a weekend offā€ first is because itā€™s what worked for me most recently. I was starting to dip into that state of mind, and I hadnā€™t had a weekend free from work, family, or other obligations for six weeks.

I was on the edge of burnout, and just taking a couple of days to get my life in a bit more order and do a few of the things Iā€™d been putting off really helped me refocus and regain a sense of control, and, at least in my case, that sense of control is necessary to fix my sleep schedule.

10 Likes

Having recently been through events which have left me feeling both furiously angry and, beneath the anger, deeply depressed, Iā€™ve been trying to break the funk by changing my daily routines, getting out more and at different times, and just going to new places and trying new things.

A part of me seems to embrace the negative emotions, so it is not easy letting go, but the routine changes have been having a somewhat positive effect.

9 Likes

Sure why not? We can go to the Yazoo Brewery!

4 Likes

i have been feeling much the same way. My form of denial is believing we have to be living in some screwed up simulation. I can not prove or disprove that hypothesis and whether it is or not does not matter as I am sort of stuck in this reality if I like it or not.

I agree with all the previous posters and reinforce that you have to take care of yourself first and the rest of the world will still do its thing if you are watching or not.

I find that when the world seems particularly ridiculous it helps to be silly in response. Try making faces in the mirror or finding the funny in life. Laughing feels much better than crying. The lowest branch to reach on the silly scale is to look at animal gifs/memes, like Hedgehog Facts. Allowing yourself to do something child-like can help too, whether it is watching some cartoon you enjoyed, putting together a lego set, or spinning around in circles until you fall down. It doesnā€™t matter what you choose to do, if you feel silly doing it that tends to derail the downward thought spiral and it is easier to do other things. It may not work for you, but I find it helps me do other things like go to sleep when I want to scream at the world.

9 Likes

I donā€™t know if this helps to know you are not alone, but your description of how you feel describes my last 5-plus years better than I could write. Iā€™ve been burnt out on my career for several years. In the last two years I have realized Iā€™m not happy in my marriage. When Bernie lost the primaries any feeling of hope for the future was extinguished. When Trump won it was a kick to my soul. At this point metaphorically I am a turtle in full tank mode. I work, I watch anime and I read BB. Thatā€™s all I have energy for any more. I have a vague plan of moving to the Philippines. I have some investments that might sustain me to live there simply the rest of my life (but itā€™s also possible I could run out of money in my latter years). So now I am just laying low and trying to figure my best plan of escape. I have more options than many people but nothing that is a sure thing.

My one suggestion that was helping me was yoga. It really helped with raising my spirits and energy and basic outlook on life. Then my wife started going and started best friending anyone that I talked with for half a second until it didnā€™t feel like my studio any more and so i quit.

10 Likes
  1. Trying really hard to stay involved with hobbies. This is really difficult, but Iā€™ve discovered that the ā€œservice to othersā€ part of my hobbies is especially appealing. Frex:
  • Iā€™m a RPG author. Iā€™m having difficulty diving into my own work, but Iā€™m happily editing/proofreading a friendā€™s manuscript.
  • I build and fly model rockets. While I need to really force myself to spend time in the workshop, yesterday I had a lot of fun mentoring some teens participating in a national contest for budding engineers. (They need to fly a raw egg and get it back unbroken.)
    By providing some service and giving back I feel inspired to get back to my own work.
  1. Civic Engagement: Going to political party meetings. Writing letters to the editor. Writing and calling members of congress. Go to a rally/demonstration.

2. Reminding myself that PEOPLE WHO DESPISE TRUMP AND HIS AGENDA ARE THE FUCKING MAJORITY in this country.

12 Likes

Wonderfully put. Full stop, no commentary.

12 Likes

Also, read this:

8 Likes

Same here. I have a tabletop RPG group that meets four times a month, my weekly Buddhist meditation group, and I read a lot of books. Oh, and flaming people on Reddit for reliefā€¦ :smiley:

I also have a queer daughter who is a junior in college in another state and I think about her future, will she be able to get a job, etc.

8 Likes

ā€œDonā€™t let down moods entrance you.ā€ (from Empty Glass, by Pete Townshend)

In your situation (been there), Iā€™d seek out the company and advice of compassionate family members and friends. For me, what developed was a sharing (fed initially by a kind of gallows humor) which settled into mutual feelings of empowerment, strength, and confidence that WE are not alone and WE are the majority. In a recent visit back east I could see how current events were affecting my Mom and sister. (They absolutely despise Trump.) So I directed them to a picture of the Trump Troll Doll (posted in boingboing), and I canā€™t tell you just how effective that was in distracting them from non-productive anger and, from there, lifting their spirits. Suffice that while still laughing (ā€œLook at his butt!!ā€) they began sending the pic to their friends. Something as simple as thatā€¦ helped.

6 Likes

Lots of good advice to pick and choose from here. :slight_smile:

I been like this for years. I donā€™t plan anything more than about 3 weeks or so in advance. I just straight-up canā€™t.

FWIW, My personal rules for survival come down to:

1 - Today, it will not win. Thatā€™s it. Live day to day, hour to hour, shit, even minute to minute if thatā€™s what it takes.

2 - ā€œShouldā€ can DIAF. Along with ā€œOughtā€. You are the most important person. Fuck anything that tells you what you should and ought to be doing. You have no obligation to anything other than yourself and your own mental health.

3 - What works, works. Itā€™s different for everyone. Any asshole that tells you they have a sure-fire universal way of fixing it is either stupid or lying. That includes this advice. Find distraction or any fleeting moments wherever you can, if it helps Rule 1.

Professional help is awesome if thatā€™s an option. And this bunch of mutants here are also awesome, as are you. So, ya know, we got your back if you need it.

15 Likes

Honestly, I find myself saying ā€œone more dayā€ almost instinctively now. Even when itā€™s Monday and the weekend is miles away. Itā€™s not that everything will be better in one more day, but putting up with whatever is bothering me until tomorrow is an achievable goal. And if I need to say it again tomorrow, then, well, at that point itā€™ll be Tuesday and the weekend will be four days away, not five. And in one more day itā€™ll be Wednesday. And so on.

Exactly. The first rule of first aid is ā€œkeep yourself safe.ā€ If you get hurt trying to save someone else, then you have two patients instead of one, and one fewer person to assist with the rescue. If you feel the urge or need to help someone else, then by all means, help. But do so in a way that keeps you safe and sane while you do it.

14 Likes

From wokegiant.com:

11 Likes

Thatā€™s all awesome advice. I say that as someone with a lifetime history of depression and anxiety, and a couple suicide attempts.

Iā€™d add/clarify ā€œbaby steps that you can fall back onā€- Like you said- Even just making the bed or eating a fruit cup instead of a candy bar can be enough to make you feel like youā€™ve done something right. I have a favorite coffee shop I like to hang out in. Iā€™ll take an hour even, just to drink a cappuccino and read a book. Itā€™s not much, but itā€™s a moment that I can detach from everything and just focus on ā€œright now, everything is pretty much okayā€. Thatā€™s often enough on itā€™s own that I can make it through the day.

13 Likes

Iā€™m gonna be down that way this summer! Iā€™m driving to Clarksville to watch the eclipse.

We should do a BB BBS meetup.

6 Likes

Great. Iā€™m actually in NY and was thinking Coryā€™s event might be a good meetup time there. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s going on this summer with me - except that Iā€™m moving to Philly area so that means the rest of the summer should be screwy.

3 Likes

Coryā€™s event on the 3rd of May in NYC could be BB BBS East and the corresponding SF date could be the BB BBS West meetup.

Would be really nice to meet in meat-space these fellow happy mutants that help make sense of the journey we are all bound to.

Will return with more writing tomorrow, but will leave with this quote that has inspired me immensely:

ā€œDeath commits us to the life it contains.ā€ - Sub Galeano

3 Likes

I agree. Iā€™ve been lobbying for a meat-space BBS for a while. Seeing as how I am so close to NYC, it seems really do-able to crash Coryā€™s May 3.

2 Likes